Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger Predator 7.62x39

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Ruger Predator 7.62x39

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:59 pm

I recently bought a Ruger in 7.62x39 that is a really compact rifle for truck carrying with the 16 1/4" barrel. I have been looking at the CZ 527 in that caliber but they cost to much to haul around behind a pickup seat. My truck is a standard cab so space is more limited than the bigger pickups. This bolt action is the American with the short barrel and called Predator. I mounted a 1-4x20 Leupold on it to keep it light. They weigh in at 5lb. 10oz. unscoped but it has no open sights so a scope is a must. It is also threaded for a can if you desire. I don't want one so the thread protector is still on it. The nice thing with this caliber is the huge supply of ammo. I bought the Russian steel cased stuff at the show a month ago that the price was actually cheaper than shooting a 22 Mag. with a whole lot more power for the bigger predators. The soft point Russian stuff with steel cases were cheap also. There seems to be a endless supply available at the shows and on the 'net. I also bought ten boxes of PP 123gr. soft point in spitzer and round nose style bullets in reloadable brass cases with boxer primers for $11 a box and I will keep the brass if I decide to ever load for it. As cheap as I can buy this ammo and it shoots well for my brother I like the fact I don't have to sit at my bench loading for it. I hope to run some through it once the deer season here is over. I don't like blasting center fires while folks are in the woods waiting for deer. I only shoot my rimfires during deer season if I am not hunting and I do that at home. I am not able to post picture but if you haven't seen one it is on the 'net. http://www.ruger.com/news/2017-08-30a.html
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Ruger Predator 7.62x39

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:37 pm

Good for you, Bandit. We had the CZ carbine 7.62x39 version and, like a fool, I let someone talk me out of it and now I'm after another one.

We bought ours, originally, to escape the need to reload or chase brass at the range. The cheap Russian stuff would do inch and a half at 100 yards, consistently. Steel-cased Hornady 7.62x39 was amazing. Very easy to get under an inch with the little carbine. Don't know how Ruger cuts the chamber on their 7.62x39, but CZ cuts it, specifically, for the steel cased ammo. Did try some of the high price factory brass case loads, but they actually didn't do all that well.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:53 am

I finally had a chance to shoot the Ruger Predator yesterday. It was windy here but I wanted to at least get this rifle sighted in so I can use it when we get some snow and I can get out and do some calling for fox and other varmints. I went to the range and it was busy with muzzle loader guys sighting in for deer hunting. I then went to a friends place and shot it in there. He had taken his bench down for the winter so I had to shoot from the top of a bale of hay. Not the most perfect place to shoot from but it will probably be the kind of rest I will get when out hunting. I shot the cheap Russian steel cased hollow point. It was 123 or 124gr. I could only shoot at 50 yds. so I put it right at the top of the bulls eye that I drew by circling a nickle with a sharpie. I am using a Leupold VXII 1-4x20 to keep this rig light and it will be OK for the ranges I will be shooting. I was thrilled by the way it shot and when I got it where I wanted it I shot a three shot group that was a single out of round hole. This impressed me for a rifle barely over 6 lb. scoped. This Ruger has one of the easiest triggers to tune to a great pull weight. I put in a lighter wire spring and removed the center blade that is like the Savage accu-trigger. I can get below a pound but I set it at 2 1/4 lb. because of hunting with it. This rifle only has a 16 1/4" barrel and is threaded from the factory for a can but I will leave it as is. It is fairly loud but has little recoil. I like the fact I can shoot throw away ammo and not have to load for it if I don't want to and be about the same price as 22 Magnum. If I would have been shooting a 22 Mag. today with the wind we had it would probably been bad grouping on the target. I think I am going to like this Ruger and Ruger did it right and went with the .311 bore instead of the .308. I will camo the ugly tan colored stock later.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:11 am

looking forward to your hunting reports
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:06 pm

I have a friend who has one of those rifles in a 300 blackout. Its a neat caliber also. He likes the rifle but doesn't think the magazines are very good at all. He has had trouble with his. I have one of those CZ 7.62 carbines that this close friend of mine bought for me as a gift. I'm sure its the same gun as NCG was talking about. Its everything she says hers was and a very accurate shooter at that I really like it. I don't shoot it much and it also has a great piece of wood on it. Its a kick to shoot and I put a Burris 2x7 scope on it making it really an awesome gun especially since they include a settable trigger. Someday Id like to shot some pigs with it but I haven't planned a trip with it yet. I also have a Windam Weaponry AR in that caliber. 7.62x39 is a fun round and like you say the ammo is cheap making it better to buy than reload. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:29 am

BigAl52 wrote:I have a friend who has one of those rifles in a 300 blackout. Its a neat caliber also. He likes the rifle but doesn't think the magazines are very good at all. He has had trouble with his. I have one of those CZ 7.62 carbines that this close friend of mine bought for me as a gift. I'm sure its the same gun as NCG was talking about. Its everything she says hers was and a very accurate shooter at that I really like it. I don't shoot it much and it also has a great piece of wood on it. Its a kick to shoot and I put a Burris 2x7 scope on it making it really an awesome gun especially since they include a settable trigger. Someday Id like to shot some pigs with it but I haven't planned a trip with it yet. I also have a Windam Weaponry AR in that caliber. 7.62x39 is a fun round and like you say the ammo is cheap making it better to buy than reload. Al

The magazine for the 7.62x39 is not the same rotary 5 shot as the Blackout. My rifle uses the Ruger Mini-30 mags that are staggered 5 round. Those rotary mags have had their issues and are very cheap made. Any of the mini-30 high capacity mags will fit my Predator. My mag even has the stay open after the last round is fired as the Mini 30. I may modify that feature to not work. Mine loads easy but not so easy to get the rounds back out. I think I will get used to it and do better unloading it but arthritic fingers don't help. Maybe there is a little trick to unloading it I haven't found yet. I may buy a 10 round or just an extra 5 shot later.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:52 am

bandit1250 wrote:.......I can get below a pound but I set it at 2 1/4 lb.......
That is about where I set most of mine and for the same reasons. Joanie (North Country Gal) sure has some light triggers. When I visited her I was able to dry fire some.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater