Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Most Powerful

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Most Powerful

Post by Henry88 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:42 am

I am with Cate at the low end of the spectrum here with the .308. I have never been one for large powerful guns, especially since I don't hunt large powerful animals. I am amazed at the popularity of the 45-70 here and at other forums. People just love them.

To be honest, even the .308 with no pad was beating me up a little last time. I stopped shooting it before I wanted to cause it was too much kick. :oops:
0 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:35 am

I'm in the 45-70 camp. I don't find the recoil to be harsh at all. Even my hotter loads are more of a shove than a sharp kick. I will say that I never shoot it from a bench though. I just lean into it a little and then roll back with the recoil. Loaded down to subsonic levels, it's a real cream puff to shoot, but still hits like a freight train.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:57 am

felt recoil is highly subjective .... in thinking back, in my younger days, recoil wasn't the issue for me that it is today .... the most accurate slug gun I've ever fired or owned was a 6 lb featherweight Ithaca Deer Slayer pump 12 ga .... it was also the kick'n'est shotgun I've ever fired or owned .... no way I'd fire it with a slug or 00-buck today .... I still enjoy big boomers but age and blood thinning meds have drastically my tolerance for recoil .... since most of my rifle shooting is from a bench, I've found I have upgrade my hard kick'ers and adjust my hand loads so as to reduce felt recoil .... thankfully, that works for me
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:11 pm

I've owned .308, .270, and now .25-06 as far as rifles go. They certainly are not large calibers for sure. I gave up on the .308 and .270 for deer where I had my lease. The deer weren't all that large in the area and I scaled down a bit. I sold the .308 and 270 a long time ago. I just got a used Marlin .44 mag and am anticipating going to the range with it for the first time. Right now it's just got the iron sight. I may upgrade to a Skinner. Undecided at this point.
0 x