Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magnum Rifle Calibers

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Magnum Rifle Calibers

Post by ditto1958 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:49 am

How have the ammo companies and firearms makers managed to sell so many shooters rifles that are in magnum calibers?

It never seems to fail when a really nice looking bolt action rifle catches my eye on a rack in a store, or in a Gunbroker listing. I take a closer look, hoping for .30-06, or even 308... nope. Never happens. It's almost always gonna be .300 Win. Mag., 7mm Rem. Mag.... or one of a host of other steroid-aided cartridges.

When I am at the range, it's often the same thing. Sure, quite a few shooters have "normal" rifles. In addition to .30-06 and .308, you see quite a few shooters with .270 and 7mm08. But next to them there will always be someone whose ejected brass looks like it came from a 20mm cannon.

There are very few, if any, species of North American game that will not be humanely and reliably dispatched by a shot from a .30-06, .308 or .270 rifle. Heck, as most of us here are well aware, for decades, millions of deer have been taken in America with .30-30 lever guns.

I'm a freedom loving American, and I am very happy that we have our 2nd Amemdment. To all the owners of those magnum caliber rifles? More power to you. But also, my hat is off to the firearms companies and ammo companies. How you manage to sell all those over-powered rifles and $3.00 a round mini-cannon shells is beyond me. :)
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Magnum Rifle Calibers

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:14 am

Ditto
I totally agree with your thoughts. Some of the norm calibers have been left behind ie 308 and 270. But I think what happens here is the quest for something different. There is also now a large following out west to shoot animals at the 500 plus yardage range which does nothing but add fuel to the quest for those 20mm cannon shells your talking about. I myself dont have the confidence in shooting an animal at those distances. I did however recently purchase one of those cannon guns and I am very happy with it as it doesnt punish me like I thought it would. I let my good friend talk me into it so I blame him. Bought a Savage Bear Hunter in 338 Win mag. But I reload already had the dies and brass so 3.00 a round was trimmed to about a dollar. Al
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Definitely not my kind of stuff, but with me and my Contenders in all sorts of chamberings, my taste in guns isn't exactly typical, either. Have some range buddies that shoot those monsters and we manage to get along, albeit with some good natured teasing. Even have friends that shoot these evil black rifles. :) I like that our shooting community is so diverse. Adds to the fun.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:06 pm

I liked Magnum P.I. but I might be dating myself.... :)
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:00 am

RanchRoper wrote:I liked Magnum P.I. but I might be dating myself.... :)
It wasnt a secret anyway RR
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:34 pm

Nothing exceeds like excess. I know what ya mean about them elephant guns.
I like my .22 magnum..
There are bragging rights involved, like when I bought a .480 Ruger when they came out. It was among the mostest. Being old and no longer much for hunting, I just recreate with fun guns.
No more cannons for me. The kick would sometimes hurt my jawbone. I'm outta there.
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm

My 25/06 Ruger No. 1 rifle is as deadly as they come and more accurate than I can shoot. I've never missed with it.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 pm

ditto1958 wrote:How have the ammo companies and firearms makers managed to sell so many shooters rifles that are in magnum calibers?
they have and still do so because there's a sufficiently large group of customers who are willing to pay for them ..... how do automobile manufactures manage to sell so many drivers vehicles with V-10's, V-8's, and turbo charged V-6s ... :?: ... how do outboard motor manufactures manage to sell boat owners on hanging multiple motors, each with hundreds of horsepower on the back of their boats ... :?: ... much the same question can be asked about most any product .... for me, as noted in a prior post, it pretty much boils down to personal preference .... I very seldom actually needed a V-8 in my pickup but I've never owned a full size truck that didn't have one ....
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:50 am

I think it might be a Western thing. Here in Florida you seldom see the magnum rifles at the range or in the field. Even a 30-06 is big for down here.

As noted in another thread, I see more AR types in 5.56/7.62 than anything when at the range, and think to myself, "They sure managed to sell a lot of those AR types to shooters" :D
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 am

I agree. It's a regional thing with the long range super mags. In our area, 50 yards is a long shot in most places.

As for the AR thing, I think it's also very much a generation thing. At our range, it almost exclusively the younger crowd shooting the ARs. Very rarely see the oldsters like us with one.
1 x