Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cherokee Strip

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Cherokee Strip

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:01 pm

I was looking through my pictures today while waiting for my wife to get ready to go out for lunch. I ran across a picture I would like to share with my Henry "family" of members. It is a Marlin 39A called "Cherokee Strip. They were a very limited model done by Marlin in '93 to honor the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma for settlement in 1893. These were done for Walmart and each store in OK and southern Kansas got 5 guns. They had some very fancy wood and had the Marlin horse and rider etched in the right side of the butt stock. Cherokee Strip on the right side of receiver in gold. The picture here is a NIB one of a friend that had me fix a spot on the fore arm that packing grease had got onto the finish and softened it to a point where finger prints could be left in the finish. I stripped the fore end and was very lucky to get a perfect match that he couldn't even tell the difference from the butt stock original finish. He was thrilled with the way it turned out. I could have bought it from him but it was in the $1400 range and was not in my budget at the time. This was taken right after putting it back together after the fore arm fix.

6 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Cherokee Strip

Post by Henry88 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:25 am

Originally Fantastic meant “existing only in one’s imagination” .

That gun is Fantastic
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:45 am

Wow! It isn't very often that you see wood like that on a rifle at any price. :o
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:41 am

It's always quite easy to make a comment about beautiful wood furniture, which this rifle definitely carries. Another piece of art work here, Bandit. The wally-world OK & KS stores sure struck it rich. Wonder how many were made?

Anyway, the wood grain and colors are again a "work of art." Just gorgeous patterns, especially looks good against the black/gold receiver. Glad you were able to fix the fore arm damage for your friend. Yup, a tad spendy at $1400, but would have been a very nice addition to your rifle collection. Thanks for posting, and have a good day.

P.S. Like the simplicity of the gun rack, and how well it displays a rifle...looks like the rifle is just hanging in air. Will you have that rack mounted again in your new room?

bandit1250 wrote:I was looking through my pictures today while waiting for my wife to get ready to go out for lunch. I ran across a picture I would like to share with my Henry "family" of members. It is a Marlin 39A called "Cherokee Strip. They were a very limited model done by Marlin in '93 to honor the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma for settlement in 1893. These were done for Walmart and each store in OK and southern Kansas got 5 guns. They had some very fancy wood and had the Marlin horse and rider etched in the right side of the butt stock. Cherokee Strip on the right side of receiver in gold. The picture here is a NIB one of a friend that had me fix a spot on the fore arm that packing grease had got onto the finish and softened it to a point where finger prints could be left in the finish. I stripped the fore end and was very lucky to get a perfect match that he couldn't even tell the difference from the butt stock original finish. He was thrilled with the way it turned out. I could have bought it from him but it was in the $1400 range and was not in my budget at the time. This was taken right after putting it back together after the fore arm fix.

1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:41 am

Have had a piece of walnut on a gun that maybe matches that only once or twice in my lifetime. My problem with super fancy guns is that I get nervous shooting them for fear of scratching them, so ultimately they sit in the safe and eventually, get sold off, because I'm a shooter, not a collector. I surely do admire a fine Marlin like that, though. Whew!
2 x