Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Did something I said I wouldn't do

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Did something I said I wouldn't do

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:34 pm

A friend stopped by and wanted to sell his rifle because he is older and going to quit hunting. It is a CZ 452 American. It is a 17 HMR and that caliber is not a favorite of mine. I had a 452 FS and a 452 American both in HMR and they were accurate but my 22 magnum seemed to do better on critters bigger than ground hogs.
So he laid the gun on my counter and asked what I would give him for it. I said it is your gun so you tell me what you want for it. After he finished looking over my die cast car collection he said how about $400. I said "no" but I will give you $500 and that is all I have with my wife and my cash right now. He said no I told you $400. This rifle is a 2005 model. It has a Vari-X II 6-18x40 Leupold on it with engraved rings that I mounted for him when he got the rifle and scope the same day. If I would have had more cash I would have offered more but he said he was satisfied with me giving more than he had asked. So now I have another HMR but I like 452's so that part makes me happy that I got it. When we get over having 40+ mph winds I will go shoot it.
9 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Did something I said I wouldn't do

Post by HenryFan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:42 pm

I have a CZ 452 American in .22LR and I am quite fond of it. Old world craftsmanship, blue steel, walnut stock and it wears a gloss finish Leupold 4X rimfire scope. I would be hard pressed to let it go since they have been out of production for probably ten years or so now.

Your friend sold you a wonderful outfit. Think of him whenever you shoot it and the experience will be even more meaningful.
5 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:59 pm

A nice rifle and decent glass...good deal. Don't sweat it...I'm sure you've given a good deal to someone you thought deserved it in the past. Now's your turn.
The HMR is good raccoon medicine, particularly if you're worried about pass-throughs.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:13 pm

Good for you, bandit. 452s are still in great demand with CZ folks, regardless of caliber. You could always get your money back if you decided to sell it. Do let us know how it shoots.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:32 pm

Hate it when a friend makes a liar out of ya. ;) :lol:
Congrats on a fine rifle.
I've never shot one or a any rifle in the caliber.

RP
Last edited by Vaquero on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:42 am

We have a couple of 17 HMRs and enjoy shooting them. We don't hunt, just target shoot, so can't say how the 17 performs as a hunting round, but in general, we've found the 17 HMR to be pretty accurate. Our 17s usually out shoot our 22 mags, in fact. Our CZ 453V in 17 HMR is one of my husband's favorite rifles. On a calm day, it will do under an inch at 100 yards. Of course, that's probably more the rifle than the cartridge. Our 453V in 22 LR is also a reliable sub one inch at 100 yard shooter. Both of these CZs are every bit as accurate as any Anschutz we've had. It's why we will never sell either of our two CZ 453Vs.

Another interesting fact about the 17 HMR is that during the last couple of rimfire ammo shortages, we have always been able to find all the 17 HMR that we wanted and the price didn't change much.
4 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:07 pm

My dad bought a Savage in 17HMR when the Cabela's in Hamburg, PA first opened. It was a grand opening special package deal and came with a scope, rings, a mount, and some ammo. He gave it to me to get set up for him, and I shot it a bit at 50 and 100 yards. While not in the same league as the CZ, that Savage shot knots at 50 yards. It opened up at 100, but I think that was due to it being a bit breezy, and those little, light .17 bullets move a little easier than we'd like most times. He used it to help rid my sister's backyard of groundhogs a few years back. Been sitting in his cabinet since then. And I too seem to remember that this ammo was always around, even when other RF ammo wasn't.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:15 pm

rickhem wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:07 pm
My dad bought a Savage in 17HMR when the Cabela's in Hamburg, PA first opened.

The one I just got from my friend also came from Cabela's in Hamburg, Pa. in 2005. I was with him the day he bought it. I believe he may have been looking for a 22 Magnum and they were sold out at that time.
1 x