Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Pump Action Rifles

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Pump Action Rifles

Post by HenryFan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:11 am

When I was young, which was many moons ago, it was not uncommon to see pump action centerfire rifles in the field or at gun shows and in used gun racks in gun stores.

Remington pump action rifles (Model 760?) in modern calibers were somewhat common in the woods and older Remington rifles in .25 Rem, .32 Rem, .30 Rem. and .35 Rem. were not uncommon at gun shows. I think that Savage at one time made a pump action centerfire rifle but I am not at all sure of this. Long before our time, Colt made a pump action centerfire rifle in .44-40 (Colt Lightning, I think) but I can't recall ever seeing one outside of a photograph in a firearms magazine.

More recently, there was a pump action rifle imported from Israel in pistol calibers, .357 Mag. and .44 Rem. Mag., as I recall. I don't remember the manufacturer, the name of the rifle or who the importer was but, in any event, I don't think I ever saw one in the flesh. Seemed to me to be an almost perfect deep woods rifle for swine.

I wonder why this type of action is ignored now, even in rimfire calibers. To the best of my limited knowledge, only Henry makes a pump action rifle, a rimfire but they don't seem to be common.

Maybe younger shooters want black rifles but it seems someone is missing a chance here.

What was the name of that Israeli pump action rifle?
1 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Pump Action Rifles

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:46 am

The Wolf?
1 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:53 am

Maybe, I can't remember. You might be right.
0 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:57 am

IMI Timber Wolf. I found an article a few minutes ago and it seems they are quite valuable now.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:07 am

I have an old Savage M 170 in 35Rem., was my first 35 R. Very handy, even though a quick follow-up shot is sure enough easy. Lol, I've never need it with the ole 35.
Never seen many around these parts though.
I hadn't shot the ole Savage in quite a few years after acquiring the two Marlins, until this past summer.
After shooting them all together that day, I realized that the trigger on the Savage isn't near as smooth as "either" Marlin.
i haven't taken a number of deer with it before the Marlins came along.

20220501_172430.jpg

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:10 pm

Lots of reasons why so many are still shooting lever guns, but pump rifles have all but disappeared.

Up here, I used to see some old Remington and Savage pump deer rifles on the used rack, but almost never, now. Not many lever guns, either, now. Seeing fewer of those for sale.

In fact, I hardly ever see anyone shooting lever guns at our local range, now. It's almost all black guns and plastic guns, it seems. Last time we were at our local club range, we had folks burning up ammo and blasting with ported ARs on both sides while we were trying to shoot single action revolvers. We didn't stay long.
0 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:36 pm

I am lucky when it comes to range access. I am a member of a small club which has an outdoor range which is infrequently used. I went twice earlier this week to shoot rimfire rifles and both times, I had the range to myself. On both occasions, the sky was clear, the wind was moderate and the temperature was in the upper 60's/low 70's.

No one blasting ported rifles or doing mag dumps, in fact, no one else at all.

I guess one of the advantages of being retired is the ability to do things when younger folks are at work.
3 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:30 pm

Remington still makes the 572 .22LR. pump rifle. I wonder how many know that the first rifle made in 22 Winchester Magnum was the model 61 pump Winchester.
0 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:31 am

I thought all Remington was making now is 870 shotguns and Model 700 rifles. I am surprised.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:49 am

I like my Remington pump rifles. One is a 7600 in .30/06 and the other is a 7615 in 5.56. They both came to me used, not abused. The 7600 has a variable power scope with see through rings in case I need to use sights up close. I bought an identical one for my step son, also used and set up exactly the same. The 7615 was a police trade in. It functions the same as a Remington 870 shotgun. That was supposed to be easy for police already 870 trained to use a rifle instead. They were not very popular I hear. I like mine. Neither get shot much at all. The 7600 is for deer in the Adirondacks and the 7615 is for coyotes in the back pasture.
My Henry .22 lr pump is fun to shoot, but doesn't get out much either.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member