Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Restoring the oldies, the Ruger and Marlin 22s

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Restoring the oldies, the Ruger and Marlin 22s

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:19 pm

My restoration project of restocking the late 60s 10/22 and the much, much older Marlin Model 38 pump 22 is progressing, nicely.

The 1968 vintage 10/22 carbine got an Overton stock in better condition, so this 10/22s all original status remains. For those of you not familiar with the earliest vintage Ruger 10/22s, up until 1971, Ruger contracted stock making to Overton, but sometime in 1971, Ruger started making their own stocks. These Overton stock 10/22s were slightly different than the later Ruger stocks, so it makes that first series of 10/22s (64-71) a bit distinctive.

The only thing not original on this stock are the sling studs, which a former owner added at some point. A plus, though, for these first 10/22s is that only the magazines were plastic, everything else was metal, including the butt plate, trigger housing and barrel band. Very much old school Ruger.

As for the antique Marlin, I received the partially inletted and finished butt stock and finally got it attached. Took a bit of work, but the stock is on and it's a great improvement as far as stability, given that the old butt stock had three screws barely holding it together. This is important, because this old Marlin is rapidly becoming my favorite back yard plinker.

As you can see, this stock has some very nice figure, so when finished, it will look great. Still have to sand it down around the tang for a proper fit, but good enough now for the sake of shooting.

Yeah, this old pump Marlin really has me thinking of adding some other classic 22 pumps to the collection. Love my bolt guns, autoloaders are fun, lever guns are traditional, but pump 22s are wicked fast and sweet to operate. If you've never worked one of these vintage walnut and steel pump 22s, you really are missing something.
5 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Restoring the oldies, the Ruger and Marlin 22s

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:51 pm

I’m not sure which one I like better as they are both fine rifles. That 10/22 is a low serial number and my guess is the first year they came out. I have one with a bit higher five digits from the second year.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:20 pm

Thanks, Gene. I brushed out the last digit on the 10/22. It comes out to be a 1968. I now have the finger groove Sporter and the first edition Carbine as per this 1960s ad.

The last one on my bucket list to get would be the original Overton stock International in this advert., made in the same period, but those are exceedingly hard to find.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:45 am

I really like the pump rifles. That stock is going to look nice finished. I bought my first 10/22 in 1972 or 3 and I believe it was used, will have to dig it out and check the serial number.
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:40 am

Nice, I really like the butt stock, it does have some nice figure to it.
I did read up on the ole Marlin quite an interesting piece, nice grab for sure.

RP
Last edited by Vaquero on Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:36 pm

I love rimfire pumps, and have had a few flavors...Remington 121 and 572, Henry h003M, FN (Browning) Trombone, and a Winchester 61. I prefer the internal hammer models.
I understand they're not as easy to come by in the US as they are here, but if you happen across a Trombone, I highly recommend picking it up. Such a slick little rifle, and probably my favorite...even over the Model 61.

Edit: forgot to add... That butt stock is a beautiful thing!
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:34 pm

Thanks, roddy. The Model 61 goes for a premium over here, given that it's an old Winchester. Great pump 22, though. I will keep an eye open for the Browning. Thanks for the tip.
1 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:14 pm

roddy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:36 pm
I love rimfire pumps, and have had a few flavors...Remington 121 and 572, Henry h003M, FN (Browning) Trombone, and a Winchester 61. I prefer the internal hammer models.
I understand they're not as easy to come by in the US as they are here, but if you happen across a Trombone, I highly recommend picking it up. Such a slick little rifle, and probably my favorite...even over the Model 61.

Edit: forgot to add... That butt stock is a beautiful thing!
How’s that Ruger .44 treating you?

NCG, the 10/22 is gorgeous!
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:17 am

Thanks. It cleaned up nice.
0 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:14 pm

Good Thread! I like this kind of stuff.
I have a few older .22 rifles, and a couple airguns that are just waiting for me to get them all cleaned up and back to usefulness. Probably the top of that list is an old Remington 510. I bought it from a Police Athletic League rifle team that was closing up. They had nicer rifles and people closer to the team got those, but there were a few older donation rifles they were disposing of, one of which was my 510. The stock had been cut down to about a 8-9" LOP, so intended for really small kids. It does not even have a serial number on it. They have stocks for it a few places, not very expensive either. I'd like to get that back close to it's former glory and see how well it shoots.
0 x