Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger No. 1s

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Ruger No. 1s

Post by 5shot » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:46 pm

I've had a number of Ruger #1's over the years but currently don't own any. The last to go was a beautiful #1B in .30/06. It was an early model from when Ruger was outsourcing their barrels and it was very accurate. It became mostly a safe queen and someone else wanted it more than I did. I also had a little #1AB in 7X57 with the finest piece of wood I've ever seen on a production rifle but accuracy was horrible. I had a heated discussion with Ruger customer service but foolishly told him I was a handloader. The fact that my M77 in 7X57 would shoot MOA with my handloads didn't sway him so it got sold.

I had an Interarms Mark X "Alaskan" in .375 H&H that was truly a 1" gun at 100 yards if you flinched just right. I ended up selling it and a few years later we stopped at the Cabelas in Mitchell S.D. while returning from a prairie dog trip and there sat a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H. I still had reloading dies and components for the caliber so I bought it. When I tried it out at the range it was difficult to chamber ammo and Remington brass wouldn't chamber at all. There was a couple boxes of Reminton factory ammo included with the purchase of the first .375.....they wouldn't chamber in the #1 either. Sizing the cases more wouldn't solve the problem so I measured the width of the belt on my Remington brass and it was a couple thousandths wider. Bingo...the chamber isn't cut to specs. A phone call to Ruger Cust. Svc resulted in this response...."We test our rifles with Federal ammunition". There were other words said which do not bear repeating.

There was also a Ruger #1V in .22/250 which shot very well for the first few shots but the POI walked right up the paper as the barrel warmed up. Not a good rifle to take on an active prairie dog town. For a few years I had a #1 in .45/70 that shot sort of OK with 300 gr. bullets but did it's best with 400 gr. bullets at warmer velocities. It's gone too.

To sum it up.....
1. Despite these decades old encounters the contacts I've had with Ruger customer service in recent years have been positive.
2. If you look at scoped #1's you'll notice they all have the scope mounted as far to rear as possible...and that's usually still not far enough. So you need a scope with long eye relief or extended mounts.
3. As North Country Gal pointed out, the bedding system on the #1 is very susceptible to barrel heat or any variation of hold or pressure on the forearm.
4. To my eye, the Ruger #1 is probably the most beautiful factory rifle ever.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:18 pm

Great post, 5shot. Very informative. Matches up with other stories I've heard about the No. 1 and some issues. Yeah, I forgot to add the scope mounting with that rib. Really does put the scope too far out there with scopes that have short eye relief. I actually went to a scout scope on the 1A I had and it solved the problem, nicely.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:28 pm

5shot wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:46 pm

To sum it up.....

4. To my eye, the Ruger #1 is probably the most beautiful factory rifle ever.
And here is where my interest stems from. BUT, after hearing from people I “know” here, I will probably cool off on looking for one unless the right caliber pops up in front of me at the right price, with an offer of a range day to test the accuracy…
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:48 am

IMG_2017.jpg
Redthies, this is my Ruger No.1B in 30-06. A very accurate rifle to be sure. Therings are Ruger extension rings from Ruger[free then, not sure now].
Still have this one. It's simply too nice looking and accurate to even think about letting go. Well, theres that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:27 pm

Beautiful rifle. Yeah, I am still a sucker for No. 1s.
2 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:53 pm

I have a No. 1 in 25-06 and love it. I've taken several deer with it although I stopped deer hunting a few years ago. I don't think you could go wrong with one.
Jake
2 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:53 pm

North Country Gal.
I thought about a scout scope but never actually looked through one to see how the eye relief would have worked out. I missed the boat a little on that issue.

I'm not actively searching for another #1 but IF a nice one showed up in .475 Linebaugh at a realistic price??? Then I'd have a companion for the Magnum Research revolver in my avatar. There was a limited run of .475's made and the prices I've seen are very high.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:30 pm

Yeah, those less common chambering have been mostly limited runs via dealer exclusives. Those are rarely repeated, unfortunately. Best of luck in your search.
0 x