Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Horn Armory Model 89 500 S&W Magnum

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Big Horn Armory Model 89 500 S&W Magnum

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:05 am

I believe there is a 11% (?) tax on the sale of firearms and ammo that supports wildlife at the Federal level. I’ll check it out and come back and correct myself is I’m wrong.

This is what I was mentioning above, the Pittman-Robertson act. I’m not sure if this is still in effect and/or the above references to the 10/11% taxes supplemented it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman%E ... ration_Act
2 x

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:55 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:46 pm
That is a great looking beastly lever rifle you have! Yes how is the recoil and do you reload for that too? I remember seeing Hickok45 do a review on that rifle I think. What grain bullets work well thru it?
I have used 350-500 grain hand loads both in copper and hard cast. Recoil about the same as my 45/70 henry with the same bullet loads.
0 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:58 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:24 am
Handloader, that is a pretty neat rifle. While I have examined the .500 and .460 revolvers from S&W, it never occurred to me that someone might make a rifle for those cartridges.
Do you hunt with it? How did it do if you got something?
Yes, I hunt with it and mainly use 350 grain hand loads for deer. At 100 yards with skinner peep groups are 6 inches. It will take down a bison if you want. Moose, bear and deer one and done when they are hit.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:11 pm

Very nice looking rifle and I used to like shooting big boomers. I had planned to buy a Henry 45-70 as my next rifle, but then ... that sudden unexpected hole in the ammunition supply and the huge leap in the cost of all the ammunition put a halt to my buying of anything I didn't have ammo in hand for and didn't reload for. I wasn't going to add new calibers to the stable.

Add bi-lateral shoulder surgeries to the mix and big boomers were off the bucket list. :evil:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:55 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:11 pm
Very nice looking rifle and I used to like shooting big boomers. I had planned to buy a Henry 45-70 as my next rifle, but then ... that sudden unexpected hole in the ammunition supply and the huge leap in the cost of all the ammunition put a halt to my buying of anything I didn't have ammo in hand for and didn't reload for. I wasn't going to add new calibers to the stable.

Add bi-lateral shoulder surgeries to the mix and big boomers were off the bucket list. :evil:
I was pretty lucky I already had a 45/70, 30/30, 40 S&W and a 9mm. In late 2019 and early 2020 I was a government contractor working at one of the government training facilities. They typically shoot over 250K of all types of rounds per month in training. We had gotten the word that there were some rumblings that factories would be shut down due to a new virus that was unknown. So as a reloader I stocked up on everything like primers, cases, powders and bullets. Good thing I did in some cases you could not get items and factory ammo pricing was going through the roof. I had two 50 caliber ammo boxes filled for each of cases, bullets and primers which were SP, LRP and LRMP. The same with powders I was well stocked. What was surprising the government actually knew about the virus and had known what was going to happen. The BHA 500 carbine came to me as a winner of a drawing that was delayed until early 2021 due to the virus. I was notified that They needed the FFL where to ship it and taxes/shipping was included. I had lots of titegroup, longshot and primers which can be used for the .500. So, the hunt was on I went to Starline, and they had plenty of cases in stock, so I bought 3K of them. Then I went to Berrys and bought 3K of their 350 grain .500 bullets. Now I have a new mission to test and see what works best. I was so impressed with the .500 that I ended up getting a BFR .500 revolver. Next to my 45/70 it is my favorite round. Call me crazy but I am looking at getting a BFR revolver in 45/70 too. I had shot a buds and it had less recoil then the .500.
0 x

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:35 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:24 am
Handloader, that is a pretty neat rifle. While I have examined the .500 and .460 revolvers from S&W, it never occurred to me that someone might make a rifle for those cartridges.
Do you hunt with it? How did it do if you got something?
Yes hunt big game last deer I shot about 110 yards with skinner peeps 350 grain bullet one and done no chasing/tracking involved.
0 x