Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another Rossi

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Another Rossi

Post by Bill.68 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:35 pm

I thought about the new 35 but just dont want to have to add another caliber that I dont already have most of whats necessary to load for it. You see, I havent shot Ive probably shot less than 100 factory loaded rounds of ammo in the past 7 or so years so the 30-30 just isnt a candidate for a new firearm. A firearm chambered in 454 casull though? Now that is a cartridge I do have just about everything needed so I bought a rossi92 in 454 casull. I searched and searched for a blued one but had zero luck so I just bought a SS one. Im not a fan of SS for certain firearms and a 92 is definitely among them but I had no choice. 20" barrel and, according to the pic it is (and better be) the updated model with the loading port in the tube and the screw off cap. That tube also threads into the receiver because Rossi was having issues with the mag tubes slipping under the immense recoil of the mighty 454casull. So, some ingenious engineering on rossi's part.
If its as nice as my little 357 92 Ill be very happy. Im thinking this one will probably see mostly cast bullets. Certainly Ill use some cup and core or maybe even some solids but cast will be the bulk of its diet.
Waiting...
Last edited by Bill.68 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Please always remember to never forget, No matter where you go, there you are.

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Another Rossi

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:09 pm

Pictures would be swell
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:39 pm

I have 2, a 357 with the 24" octagon, and a blued 45 colt with the 20".

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:53 pm

You better know that as soon as I take delivery I will drown the forum in pictures.
Its just your basic 20" 92. I had to get the stainless because I jist couldnt locate an elusive blued model, the ss are for more common. It does have a different , or rather an actual buttpad instead of the usual metal plate and a different barrel band with a sling attatchment to match the rear one.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:37 pm

Bill, I await the picture barrage. ;) :D
As to the butt plates, the octagon model has the curved one very similar to my original Win. 92.
The blued 20" has the plain ole one on it.
Oh, I see what you're sayin about the butt, it's actually a pad and not a plate.
I just jump over on gun broker to have a look. They have 2 blued ones listed.

RP
0 x

H001, H006, H012

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:19 pm

Not knowing much about the 454 Casull, can you shoot .45 Colt thru that Rossi? Safely?
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:11 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:19 pm
Not knowing much about the 454 Casull, can you shoot .45 Colt thru that Rossi? Safely?
Should be fine if it will cycle the shorter 45 Colt...much like 44 Mag and 44 Special. 45 Colt chambers and fires okay in 454 revolvers.
2 x

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:36 am

Yeah on the 45lc. Ive watched video after video on yt of people shooting LC's in the 454 and they all shot fine.
Vaquero, I am not hearing you, I am not hearing you, I am not hearing you.......
I almost knew that would happen. I looked for one and I couldnt find one. However, I was only going to buy the "improved" model.
A few years ago a friend of a friend bought one that had the magtube walk about every 10 shots, he was very disappointed. Also saw the same design flaw on YT.
Then I saw an episode of Target Suite where he bought his and showed the redisgn that Rossi did to the magtube. So I started thinking about getting one again.

Just went and cruised GB and saw one of the blued models and its definitely an older one. The only newer ones Ive seen are SS, maybe they are not making the blued model any longer. I dont know. They improved a few other things about that particular model too like the better buttpad. In fact I rather like the fact that I can load and UNLOAD through the tube.
Oh I guess Im alright with the SS model. The finish of the metal is supppsed to be really nice. I know the blue one I have is superb.
1 x

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:10 pm

Well the rifle is at my dealer!! Ill pick it up tomorrow! I got my dies and 250 shiney new pieces of Starline 454Casull brass and my bullets should be here in a day or three. Im just all giddy all over again. Do yall get like that when making a new purchase? I hope Im not the only one.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:24 pm

Yes sir. :roll:
What powders are you gonna use?

RP
0 x