Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another Rossi

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Another Rossi

Post by Bill.68 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:54 am

Well, I have H110, IMR4227, Unique, A9, A7, LilGun, some Vectan 6 1/2, HS-6 (?). I know the obvious best choice but I am a little low on it, H110, down to only 6lbs. Im really hoping the 454 likes LilGun. It sure works fantastic in my 357 and 44 guns and I have more of that.
Having said that though I may not want to, or be able to shoot the Casull the way I shoot my 357' and 44's.😁 Ive only shot a Casull twice before and that was in a revolver, Im sure it will be more enjoyable in a rifle.
For bullets I bought some 285gr and 315gr gaschecked cast bullets from MattsBullets. I also have some 200gr XTPs but Im guessing those may be too lightweight for the big 454. This will all be new to me so sort of a learn as I go situation.
1 x
Please always remember to never forget, No matter where you go, there you are.

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:19 pm

Well I FINALLY was able to pick up the Casull and I was NOT pleased. First off it was not the model the seller had pictured, the newer one with the screw on/off cap on the mag tube and ability to load through the tube and an updated recoil pad. Strike one
I bought it through Guns.com and they said too bad, all sales are final. Wow. Then I thought maybe its a better example on a rossi, you know, nice wood/metal fit, nice finish etc. Not really, especially the finish. What a shame. Then, to top it all off there are two sizable " craters", that apparently were not able to be finished out of the receiver. I sent pics to Rossi and Im waiting for a reply. What a bummer of a gun purchase.
The firearm otherwise seems well built, it has a great trigger break, crown well finished and cycles ok for a new Rossi. It would respond well to just a little stoning.
Then I got curious how it would cycle those big wide flatnose bullets I loaded. It does so perfecrly. It also chambers the very long 285gr cast bullets from MattsBullets. So good news there. I then borescoped it and found a bright, shiny and sharp bore. Its really really nice. Much better than I expected.
So Im in a quandary. Do I send it back and risk getting a worse(mechanically) speciman or just live with the defects in the receiver? I havent shot a single round through it yet, maybe its a shooter.
0 x

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:09 pm

Well, I finally heard back from Rossi and like you all said it couldnt be repaired (wr knew this) and said they would be sending a reolacement. That was almost 2 weeks ago.
0 x