Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Evil Black Rifle

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

New Evil Black Rifle

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:27 pm

I retired my old Savage 6A a couple months ago, and last week I couldn't stand the itch any longer so bought a new Ruger 10-22. Been blazing thru a couple hundred rounds since Saturday just to make sure everything worked. Even picked up a BX-25 mag for it today.

Nice gun. I like the light weight and it's pretty accurate - grouped well in the back yard at around 30 yds. I'll have to do something about the sights tho. Can barely make out the tiny front bead. Probably buy a cheap scope, and I'll probably get the BX Trigger from Ruger later.

The gun, 500 rnds of CCI 40grn RN, and a spare 10rnd mag for $369. :D Ammo prices around here seem to be slowly dropping. This CCI was a little under 10cents/rnd.

4 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: New Evil Black Rifle

Post by Vaquero » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:44 pm

Nice Gene, I had a couple of them at one time. I gifted to the two youngest.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:02 pm

You just cant have to much fun with a 10/22 and there is so much aftermarket stuff out there to make them just the way you want them. I have one with the hammer forged bull barrel and it shoots lights out. Im wanting to get a carbon fiber barrel for it. The biggest plus here is I dont need to pick up the brass.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PBSnooker
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PBSnooker » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:01 am

I have the talo m1 carbine version. I recently put a red dot on it and it rings the steel plate at 50 yards every shot. I had a problem with the magazines in the beginning. Keeping thm loaded seems to have cured the jambing.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:13 am

On my backyard range in Virginia I never worried about picking up the brass from the 22s since I wasn't going to reload that. Here in Oklahoma, my home range is inside the fenced 20 acres we use for livestock and the wife worries that the cows might ingest the brass so she wants it policed as much as possible. PITA, so I might eventually fence in my range to keep the beasts out. I hate walking around their deposits anyway. :roll:

As far as the 10-22 goes, I had one years ago that was a tack driver, right out of the box. I got very lucky with it. When I was out on a deployment with the CH46 squadron my 1st wife let her two younger brothers take it out and shoot it for a week or so, and they shot four or five hundred rounds of 22 ammo through it, then brought it back without cleaning it. (As a young Marine, I cleaned it after every use, of course.) She wrapped it in a surplus store wool blanket and tossed it in the trunk of her 74 Pontiac Lemans... and forgot about it. I was gone six months... over the winter. I came home, and when I asked about the rifle, she forgot where she put it ... :twisted:

When I finally found it, the barrel and receiver was covered in rust, the lands and grooves were pitted, and the bolt was frozen. The trunk seal on the car didn't seal tight and there had been heavy snows that winter. The Rifle had been wrapped in a soaking wet wool blanket off and on for the winter. My Father in Law offered to buy another rifle to replace the one the boys had ruined by not cleaning and returning it to the case where they found it, but ... he hadn't ruined it. SHE should have never loaned out MY rifle.

I always meant to buy another later in life, and in fact went to the Shop to buy one several years ago, and they were out. I ended up with the CZ455 Bolt Action. Never looked back. 8-)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:54 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:13 am
On my backyard range in Virginia I never worried about picking up the brass from the 22s since I wasn't going to reload that. Here in Oklahoma, my home range is inside the fenced 20 acres we use for livestock and the wife worries that the cows might ingest the brass so she wants it policed as much as possible. PITA, so I might eventually fence in my range to keep the beasts out. I hate walking around their deposits anyway. :roll:

As far as the 10-22 goes, I had one years ago that was a tack driver, right out of the box. I got very lucky with it. When I was out on a deployment with the CH46 squadron my 1st wife let her two younger brothers take it out and shoot it for a week or so, and they shot four or five hundred rounds of 22 ammo through it, then brought it back without cleaning it. (As a young Marine, I cleaned it after every use, of course.) She wrapped it in a surplus store wool blanket and tossed it in the trunk of her 74 Pontiac Lemans... and forgot about it. I was gone six months... over the winter. I came home, and when I asked about the rifle, she forgot where she put it ... :twisted:

When I finally found it, the barrel and receiver was covered in rust, the lands and grooves were pitted, and the bolt was frozen. The trunk seal on the car didn't seal tight and there had been heavy snows that winter. The Rifle had been wrapped in a soaking wet wool blanket off and on for the winter. My Father in Law offered to buy another rifle to replace the one the boys had ruined by not cleaning and returning it to the case where they found it, but ... he hadn't ruined it. SHE should have never loaned out MY rifle.

I always meant to buy another later in life, and in fact went to the Shop to buy one several years ago, and they were out. I ended up with the CZ455 Bolt Action. Never looked back. 8-)
Interesting war story. ;) I lost a 300 Savage while I was away in VN. I'd had my then Father in law (first wife dad) keep it for me. Somehow it disappeared while I was gone. So did my first wife - no loss there. ;)
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

bikeridertim
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bikeridertim » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:14 pm

I bought a 10/22 for my Girlfriend about 2 years ago. She loved it just as it came, then she shot my CZ Benchrest rifle. "I want a trigger like that, and a better scope"! She now has a BX trigger and a bigger scope now!! :D
2 weeks ago Saturday I found me a 10/22. Mine is from 2002 and Stainless with a super cheap scope. I ordered a BX trigger and put it in. 2.4 lbs. now!
I didn't notice when I put in the trigger that the Bolt stop fell out. And didn't notice. Guess I know why I was having feeding trouble! :oops:
My point to all of this, if you take the stock off watch ALL the pins that might fall out! :shock:
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:46 pm

bikeridertim wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:14 pm
I bought a 10/22 for my Girlfriend about 2 years ago. She loved it just as it came, then she shot my CZ Benchrest rifle. "I want a trigger like that, and a better scope"! She now has a BX trigger and a bigger scope now!! :D
2 weeks ago Saturday I found me a 10/22. Mine is from 2002 and Stainless with a super cheap scope. I ordered a BX trigger and put it in. 2.4 lbs. now!
I didn't notice when I put in the trigger that the Bolt stop fell out. And didn't notice. Guess I know why I was having feeding trouble! :oops:
My point to all of this, if you take the stock off watch ALL the pins that might fall out! :shock:
Good tip, thanks. :)
1 x