Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Savage 99 in the house

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Savage 99 in the house

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:18 am

a good write-up on the history of the 308 Winchester ====> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Winchester .... I make it a point to not have 2 rifles in the same caliber .... if/when I should ever decide to purchase another rifle, I could easily make an exception
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:20 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:14 am
Travlin wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:15 pm
That is a very nice rifle. The forearm is a "schnoble" not scanable. You might want to get a copy of Murray's book THE NINETY NINE. I have a 99-358 that was made in the last years of production . My late friend insisted on buying it for me because I helped him move from Waycross Ga. to Lakeland Fl.The 300 Savage was the inspiration for the 308 caliber.
I did not know that about the 308.
In my reading I discovered that the military was looking for 30-06 velocities in a shorter cartridge and considered the 300 Savage. While the 300 Sav did reach the velocities of the 1920’s 30-06 it was not able to reach the 30-06 velocities of the 40’s so the 308 was born.

Travelin, thanks for the spelling update. I struggled with the spelling and corrected my original post but then read your update. Schnoble is a fun word just by itself and a fore-end style I have liked since Winchester brought out the M/70 Featherweight with this style in the 80’s. Your .358 is a great combination of gun and caliber and your history with yours is priceless. I I know a few local guys that would really like to have that combination.

One more item, I had a local guy contact me and he had looked up my rifle in the Gun Trader Guide and found the variant of my is the EG (II). Not the F as I had thought. The F is a 22” barrel featherweight variant. This helps narrow down my research on my particular rifle but learning about all 99’s is fun too.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:08 pm

I suggest that anyone that has a serious interest in firearms get a copy of CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD. There is a lot of good information between its covers including rimfire cartridge history etc. I bought my first copy in 1969 when I bought my reloading press and dies from Herters. I finally wore it out and bought a new copy in 2000. I am still using the press.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:32 am

I owned a 99 in 250 Savage and really enjoyed it, but it had the traditional twist that favored 87 grain loads and all I could find in factory ammo was the heavier 117 loads. Being a 250, I had no problem trading it. In fact, I made money.

I have to say, I was very impressed with the construction quality. People sometimes associate the Savage label with bargain guns or off brand guns, but that is so wrong when it comes to the 99. I doubt Winchester could've made the gun any better.

The 99 was way, way ahead of its time as a lever gun design. The 300 Savage models can be awesomely accurate, as a friend of mine has discovered. He bought one, sight unseen, in 300 Savage from the original owner in Alaska, of all places. Had it shipped. He sent me pics of the groups he shot with the stock iron sights. Unreal.

We have a 99 collector in our area that goes to a gun show we used to frequent. He only went there to display his collection and talk about 99s. None of his 99s were for sale. It was a real pleasure for me to see some rare versions and some vintage versions. Worth the trip just to see his 99 collection.

Enjoy your 99. Great rifle.
1 x

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:52 am

My first cenerfire rifle was a 99E in 308. I bought it with what I had earned working my uncles farm for the summer, and it probably cost about $100 brand new. Neat rifle, but it kicked my skinny teenage body like a mule. Wish I still had it.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:53 am

A local guy here just posted that he saw an old Sears ad for Savage 99’s. $21.50. :lol:
0 x