Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ 455 Varmint barrel blueing

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

CZ 455 Varmint barrel blueing

Post by henry22 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Hey guys, I was just curious about something. My CZ 455's barrel isn't gloss blued like either of my Henry rifles. The outside of the CZ barrel looks more like steel that's been somewhat polished, but not blued.

Is it possible to get a gun smith to blue the barrel high gloss - like a Henry?

Thanks.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: CZ 455 Varmint barrel blueing

Post by roddy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:39 pm

Stripping and bluing shouldn't be a big deal for a 'smith. It can get expensive for a highly polished finish, though. If the receiver is steel (I believe it is), I would do them both, along with the trigger guard at the same time, if I had to have it done.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:38 pm

With the 455 barrel being easily removed from the action would likely reduce the cost of getting it blued due to the fact the owner can remove and reinstall it and not the 'smith.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:52 pm

Thanks guys. I've seen some good you tube videos on how to change out the barrel, no more difficult than dis-assembling a Henry 22 or 22 WMR. In my case, I bought an aftermarket gloss blued trigger guard, so that's taken care of. I just always wished the rifle was as blued and shiny as my Henry's. I love that dark high gloss bluing, and dark, dark walnut.

One more guys if you don't mind...

For anyone who's owned the CZ 453 and/or the 455. What makes the 453 varmint model more desirable over say the 455 varmint, or new 457 varmint?
Thank you.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:19 pm

The 453 has the single set trigger like the CZ center fires. Made far less of the 453's than the 452 or the 455. The barrel is threaded on the 452 and the 453 which is more desirable to traditional rifle enthusiast types. (like me) The screws on your 455 will probably be very tight. A socket for on a 1/4 or 3/8" drive ratchet with the right size tool to fit the screws will be a good tool to use to loosen the screws. I think they may be a 3MM. The torque specs are around 40" lbs. I believe. I never had one off so you may want to check.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:39 pm

Ahh, so threaded and single set trigger. Sounds awesome. North Country Girl said I should pick one up IF I can find one. I'm really happy with my 455 in .17 HMR with a varmint barrel. I had a YODAVE trigger kit installed, the pull is 1 pound exactly, and a steel gloss blued trigger guard.

The rifle is an absolute lazer beam at 100+ yards. I can hit orange painted peanuts in the shell, spiked vertically on a toothpick, it's that accurate. I've put 3 shots inside a dime with that rifle at 100 yards.

I was just curious. The 453 might be hard to find. The new 457's look handsome, and apparently have a different safety location - on the side I think?
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:40 am

henry22 wrote:Ahh, so threaded and single set trigger. Sounds awesome. North Country Girl said I should pick one up IF I can find one. I'm really happy with my 455 in .17 HMR with a varmint barrel. I had a YODAVE trigger kit installed, the pull is 1 pound exactly, and a steel gloss blued trigger guard.

The rifle is an absolute lazer beam at 100+ yards. I can hit orange painted peanuts in the shell, spiked vertically on a toothpick, it's that accurate. I've put 3 shots inside a dime with that rifle at 100 yards.

I was just curious. The 453 might be hard to find. The new 457's look handsome, and apparently have a different safety location - on the side I think?
I should have said the barrel is threaded into the action but not threaded for a can. It is also very simple to get the trigger below a lb. on any 452 or 455 and not modify any thing that can't be reversed in less than 5 minutes if you decide to sell or trade the rifle off. No need to beat the front pin out. I have 12 CZ 452's and not one has a YODAVE kit in them and none pull higher than 1 lb. and are creep free. The single set trigger on the 453 is as good as it gets except the reach changes on the set mode because of pushing the trigger forward to set. Some don't mind the position on set and some don't like the longer reach. Just a personal thing. The 457 is a very nice rifle with a three way adjustable trigger and the American standard push forward to fire safety. Workmanship looks very good on the ones I have looked at in LGS's except one had a crown a little off. The finish is very dark on about every one but a few had nice wood under the factory mud. The 453 is VERY hard to find and if you do expect to pay in the $700+ range for any of the 453 models.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:00 am

In that case, I think I might just settle for a 455 in 22LR with a varmint barrel, or just hold out until the fall for the 457. They are really amazing rifles though.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:11 am

I'll echo what bandit says. No reason a 452 or 455 can't have an outstanding trigger. Really the easiest triggers to mod of just about any rifles I've owned. Like bandit, all our 452/455s have superb triggers and it took only a little work to get them that way. Have never used or needed a yo Dave kit, either.

CZ did import a few 453s with threaded barrels - had a 17 HMR Varmint that had one - but they were metric threads. At the time, we had two 453 Varmints in 17 HMR. The other one had a fluted barrel, also not common. Kept the fluted barrel 453 and sold off the threaded barrel 453. No regrets, because the fluted 453 is an incredible shooter.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:35 am

I think at the time, I didn't know enough about the trigger adjustment. I know it's something that can be done by the end user, but I wasn't comfortable with taking the rifle apart - re-torquing the actions screws to 25 pounds etc. So when the trigger guard came in from Diversified Innovative Products, I had my gunsmith install it, and the YODAVE kit, which was only 18 bucks, which I thought was reasonable.

The one issue I have with the CZ varmint 455 series, is that the hunting stores I go to, rarely carry more than 1 at a time. I really wish I could nit pick over the stock. I like the wood on my 17, but I don't love it. I wish I could find one that was darker, or made of American walnut, and high gloss, like the old school rifles, but I'm being picky.

I really do love these rifles, easy to clean, substantial feeling, great build quality. I think I'm just going to get another varmint, 457 in 22LR.

Oh, and just because I love this thing so much, I had to share this. I bought a Protektor Model 13A over the winter from Protektor in Galeton, PA. My dad is going to give me a 25 pound bag of 7.5 lead shot to fill it. They're so well made.
Protektor Bag Front.JPG

Protektor Suede Bottom 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x