Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sold off a few more 39A Marlins

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Sold off a few more 39A Marlins

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:38 am

I have been thinning down my wife's and my 39A's. A couple years ago we had 26 then went down to 19 and then stayed at 10 up until yesterday. I sold and did the dealer transfers on two more yesterday and now down to eight. Maybe go down to six in the near future. We don't shoot them any more since I got my wife hooked on shooting the bolt action CZ 452's and now she has several of her own 452's including her Grand Finale which she really likes other than the tight closing of the action that the GF rifles seem to all have. A few of the most fired ones seem to have gotten better with many rounds fired now.
I am getting to be more of a bench shooter for accuracy now and the bolt actions are where it's at along with some of the falling block single shots that I have none of the falling blocks right now. I recently did get a Remington 540 XR single shot bolt action that is turning out to be a super accurate rifle. It is a very easy rifle to shoot from a rest with the flat bottom stock and the bull barrel weight sitting on the bags like none of my other rifles I have now. I have read where the XR does not sit well on the bench but I can't figure where that is coming from. If I had a camera I would probably hesitate on posting the targets this rifle will shoot even with just mid grade target ammo I have here now. Most would maybe not believe the targets with this rifle. I shoot with my friend that has custom rifles and some very good 40X Remington's and he is amazed how close to his rifles I can be with 1/3 the power on scope and far less money. His barrel cost as much as my rifle and his 45X Leupold cost over three times the XR cost me. I am quite happy right now that I parted with some lever Marlin's to move on to what I am enjoying right now. My friend and I have fired over 25,000 rounds since the first of this year so we are getting in plenty of range time. I am going to put a Herrell tuner on this week and see how it will shoot with a tuner in place.
Hope everyone is doing well and getting to shoot when you can. Be safe and enjoy the rest of summer and the up coming fall cooler weather.
4 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: Sold off a few more 39A Marlins

Post by roddy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:54 am

I hope you did well on the sales...I've been keeping an eye out for a nice one, but the prices are getting absurd. I was able to pick up a nice 9422 a while back, but so far the Marlins have been eluding me. I found one nice one from the mid-60s, but the asking price was $1400 CDN...too rich for my blood.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:17 am

roddy wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:54 am
I hope you did well on the sales...I've been keeping an eye out for a nice one, but the prices are getting absurd. I was able to pick up a nice 9422 a while back, but so far the Marlins have been eluding me. I found one nice one from the mid-60s, but the asking price was $1400 CDN...too rich for my blood.
They were both shooter grade Marlins. One was the sought after '51 "Peanut" 39A. Had the brass insert in the grip cap and I was lucky the owner never sent it back and had his initials engraved in it. It was drilled and tapped so the collector grade was killed on that one. It had exceptional condition bluing and decent wood for a Marlin. That one was $500. The other was $450 with bluing worn thin but they both were the more sought after older 39A's with the Ballard style barrels and not the Micro-groove. Maybe didn't get enough but it was more than I paid when I bought them. The ones I have left are the upper end in condition and would be what a collector would be after. These are the two that will go last unless the offer is really good.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:57 pm

I’ve always wanted one. A 39A and a 9422 was on my bucket list. I bought a 9422M and a 9410 a couple years ago and love them. The 9410 is especially cool.

I’m amazed and impressed you had so many.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
I’m amazed and impressed you had so many.
I don't have a picture of all 26 together. I have one of 18 together with one missing that was apart at the time for a refinishing job. Here is 18 in one photo.

3 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:41 pm

Nice line up. I have 2 from 1954 and an 80s model. The 39A was the first rifle I bought when I turned 18 and have been a lever gun fan ever since.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:31 pm

Beautiful country in the background in your pic, bandit. We still love lever guns, but sold off our Marlin collection, too, a few years back and for some of the same reasons. We enjoy the accuracy and simplicity of bolt guns and classic single shots, more, and even with the bolt guns, we shoot most of them as single shots. The lever guns just weren't getting used, plus we sold them at a great price and made a profit on them. Again, still love lever guns, but with our shooting time so precious, now, the lever guns weren't getting used.
1 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:37 pm

Well I know I can't afford those last 39's. I can be in same league as I have that exact tile as your table. The wife and I laid it when we remodeled the kitchen a few years ago. Nice looking 39's.

Muddy Waters
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:41 am

MuddyWaters62 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:37 pm
Well I know I can't afford those last 39's. I can be in same league as I have that exact tile as your table. The wife and I laid it when we remodeled the kitchen a few years ago. Nice looking 39's.

Muddy Waters
I couldn't afford the ones I had at today's prices. I started collecting Marlins when they were still fairly easy to find and prices were low. Some of mine were bought when they were still under $200 for really nice condition ones even though not collector grade but I bought them to shoot so it didn't matter.
The table used to be our kitchen floor and we made a table from the tile. :shock: ;) :lol: Not really. My wife bought the table with matching coffee table and another smaller table that is also in the dining room. Then after rebuilding our home from a accident from a vehicle we did the rooms over in knotty pine and went to wood furniture. Going to soon replace the dining room table with wood table. Living room tables.
ImageImage
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:01 am

Thats alot of 39As Bandit. Found a 455 FS in 22 mag but really would like the 22LR for plinking better.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55