Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Savage Axis

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Savage Axis

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:39 pm

My Savage Axis that I have been working on for a truck gun seems to have a ejection problem throwing a empty clear of the action. It some times will barely roll it over the edge of the action port or drop it on the magazine. My wife and I had the ejector out several times a few nights ago. Then we removed the extractor. I stretched the spring in the ejector about two coils in length and seemed to help slightly. So we removed the ejector when I saw on some forums it can let the fired round go early before the ejector gets to give it a kick out of the port. I gave it more spring tension and put a bigger detent ball in it like they recommended on the other forums. It ejects now but still not where I would like it to be. These little jobs with springs and detent balls and pins that need to be driven back in while you are holding in springs under a lot of tension and other parts require a third hand. I thank my wife for being one that will always help with the "third hand" when needed even if she does hit my fingers occasionally with the darn hammer. :x I guess maybe she thinks the brass don't hurt as much as steel on the fingers. ;)
3 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Savage Axis

Post by Henry88 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:58 am

The third hand is the helper.......but watch out for that fourth hand with the hammer......... :D

Sorry to hear about all the fuss with the Axis, but you'll figure it out, and someone will someday find your posts, and it'll help them as well.

Please keep us informed, bandit
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Savage Axis

Post by Vaquero » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:06 am

Hey bandit, other than the ejection thing how do you like the Axis?
I had a Stevens 200 in 223 for awhile til I traded it off, and got another Marlin. Been thinking of another bolt 223, don't really like that stock much though. lol, now there's a stock I could paint, haha.
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012