Got a good deal

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Got a good deal

Post by GFK » Wed May 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Mistered wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:37 am
Looks like the remains of an old European made double. Can you see any markings on the locks or trigger guard? Lots of these were imported in the late 1800s into the U.S. and sold pretty cheap. Typically they had Damascus barrels and did not last too long if used much or if fired with smokeless shells later on.
I have one that was made in Belgium and is in fair shape, has the barrels but is missing the forestock.
I've been meaning to carve a display forestock for it and 'artificially' get it to match the age and color if the buttstock but just as a wallhanger only!
Seem like a gun historian. Thanks for the lesson. It look like it might make a good boat paddle to me.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Wed May 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Mistered wrote:
Looks like the remains of an old European made double. Can you see any markings on the locks or trigger guard? Lots of these were imported in the late 1800s into the U.S. and sold pretty cheap. Typically they had Damascus barrels and did not last too long if used much or if fired with smokeless shells later on.
I have one that was made in Belgium and is in fair shape, has the barrels but is missing the forestock.
I've been meaning to carve a display forestock for it and 'artificially' get it to match the age and color if the buttstock but just as a wallhanger only!
Yes, there is quite a bit of scrollwork on the locks and trigger guard. No other markings though.
0 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Wed May 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Mags wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:52 am
I've got the barrels that go to that. Story for that is posted here somewhere a while back.
[edit: found it, http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 583#p69528

pinkchk_xsm.png
Greyhawk wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:26 am
I got a good deal on this shotgun at an antique store. It just needs a little work... I'm sure there is a good story behind it (I just haven't made it up yet! :lol:)
Great Story Mags!
My story can't compete, although the antique store where I bought it was once a bank that had been robbed by Baby Face Nelson, and they are happy to show off the bullet holes in the walls and ceiling that prove it. :o (kind of unrelated though)
0 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Wed May 15, 2019 4:32 pm

GFK wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:59 pm
Mistered wrote:
Seem like a gun historian. Thanks for the lesson. It look like it might make a good boat paddle to me.
Or a towel weight!
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat May 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Mistered wrote:
I have one from across the pond as well. It belonged to my dad's great uncle. It is an F.A. Loomis (Birmingham, England) 10 gauge with Damascus barrels.
0 x

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:45 pm

All I can say is!
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.