Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Valentine's day gift to my beautiful wife

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Valentine's day gift to my beautiful wife

Post by DAVIDF » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:12 pm

My wife, Olga is from Poland. She is currently in Poland visiting friends and working on an estate. While she's been away, I have ordered her valentine's day gift. She loves lever actions and AR's. A strange combination perhaps, but we have the same taste!

I have a PSA AR with a 14.7" FN barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider that I absolutely love. So when I recently looked on their website, I saw an upper with a 14.7" lightweight FN barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider, I new I couldn't wait to order it. I saw it before Olga & I went to the range. I figured it would be sold out by the time we got back, so I ordered it. Sure enough, it was gone when we got back. I ordered a lower from PSA the next day when it was on sale with free shipping.

Then, I had to figure out optics, a charging handle, and a bolt carrier group. They had a nickel boron bolt carrier group on sale with free shipping, so I ordered that along with a spare (can't have too many BCG's). A few days later they had their forged charging handles on sale with free shipping so I ordered two (a spare charging handle is always a plus). I figured I would move some Magpul flip up sights from my PSA AR-15 as she likes open sights and light weight rifles. But, she also loves light weight red dots. She is not a total fan of my Aimpoint PRO as it is a bit heavy. I decided to look around for an Aimpoint T2. Optics Planet had some flat dark earth (FDE) T2's with quick release mounts on sale (with a discount shown on their website) so I ordered one yesterday. The FDE Aimpoint will match her favorite pistol a FDE Glock 19.

She'll be gone for a couple more weeks, so it should give me enough time for everything to arrive and sight it in. Now, I need to find the appropriate bow. FDE?
1 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Valentine's day gift to my beautiful wife

Post by wingnut » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:05 pm

If you are not finished with the accessorizing (now or in the future), how about a 22 LR conversion also?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/25461 ... less-steel

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/26942 ... ymer-smoke

Use a wine bottle cork bwtn the rear of the conversion and the recoil spring to keep the conversion tight to the chamber. CCI LR Mini-Mags work well.
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:50 pm

The CMMG conversions work very well apparently. A friend has one. However, she has her AR9 which is set up almost identically to her new AR except for a Trijicon MRO instead of the Aimpoint T2. The AR9 is a blast to shoot on the pistol ranges and up close on steel. I hand load 9mm and pick up free range brass, so it is extremely cheap to shoot. She also has her H001L for when she wants to shoot .22. That is currently her favorite rifle! It may still be even after she gets home from Poland and has a chance to shoot her new one ;)

Forgot to mention that I also ordered her a Giessele SSA-E, 3.5lb two stage trigger. Stage two is about 1.2lb so it is a very light break for her and my standards. I have recently put one on my AR9 and we both really like it. Olga doesn't tend to like light triggers, but since this is a two stage she feels she has much more control. I feel the same.

I was impressed with my friends CMMG conversion. He shot it the other day while I was there. He has not has any issues with it and it has been more reliable than his Ruger 10/22 with the Ruger 25 round magazines. The same reliability as the Ruger with the 10 round magazines. So, that is saying something.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 pm

The conversion shines at the same types of range work-out as the AR9 without using 223/5.56 ammo. Any further and accuracy tapers off due to the .224" bore being slightly larger than the standard 22 rimfire, about .221"
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:27 am

wingnut wrote:The conversion shines at the same types of range work-out as the AR9 without using 223/5.56 ammo. Any further and accuracy tapers off due to the .224" bore being slightly larger than the standard 22 rimfire, about .221"
What has been spectacular with our AR9's is their accuracy out to 210 yards has been spectacular. Keeping hits on a 12" X 20" plate is easy even with some stiff wind (stiff wind for Florida, not RR's wind :D ). A friend who has bench rest experience out to 1000 yards was able to get a four shot 2" group at 210 yards. I wasn't able to do that, but he proved to me how accurate they can be. Hitting clay pigeons at 215 yards was not too difficult.
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 am

I sighted it in on Saturday. I was shooting at about 106 yards and it is about a bit more than 3" high with Wolf 62gr. It should be good at 210 yards or a little further. Functioned perfectly with cheap Wolf .223 55 & 62gr steel cased and PMC .223 55gr. Several people who handled commented on how light it is, perfect for what she wants. That light weight really made it easy for me to shoot off hand accurately at that distance. I was definitely better with it than my PSA AR with a heavier barrel, a heavier Aimpoint Pro red dot, and a light mounted.
Attachments
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (246.77 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
1 x