Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Proper terminology?

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Proper terminology?

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:58 am

roddy wrote:Even the right word with the wrong pronunciation can get some people's feathers ruffled. Example? Carbine. Is it carbeen, or carbien? It seems to be regional...some say it one way, some say it the other. Either way, you'll likely get a cringe or a stern look if you say it differently than the listener is used to.
That's an interesting one. I guess here in the heartland (or at least inside this house in the heartland) we say "Carbeen" (long "E"). Carbien (long "I") just doesn't hit the ear exactly right...

Beyond that, I'm with keeping it appropriate for your audience. For layman, it's "guns" and "ammo." For experts like you all, I try to make it more specific. I'm liking "projectile" instead of "bullet." Pistols and revolvers are different handguns. Rifles are rifles, shotguns are shotguns.

"Weapons" definitely rings of military/LE, so that always catches my ear...

Never, ever, ever is it a clip.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:32 pm

Gun terminology evolves with usage, often straying from the original definition. Simple as that. For instance, the original lever gun definition of carbine is not a rifle with a short barrel, as everyone commonly assumes, but actually a rifle forearm that uses a barrel band. You can still have a short barrel on a lever gun, but if it has an end cap instead of a barrel band, it is a Short Rifle, not a carbine. :)

Another part of the problem in gun terminology is that new designs blur the boundaries and, in some cases, require new terminology, altogether. For instance, prior to the mid 60s, there was no such a thing as "specialty pistols", such as the Remington XP-100 or my TC Contenders, which aren't really pistols at all, but that's the category label that has stuck.

Personally, I hope we don't give rise to the terminology police on this forum as I have seen on other forums. Can make for some absolutely ridiculous and pointless arguments.
3 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:04 pm

I'm reminded of "45 Colt" vs. "45 Long Colt."

I've been advised that the latter is a complete misnomer, but it's interesting that firearms publications/websites, as well as vendors of ammo, parts and accessories use "45 Long Colt" with great regularity.

I'm gonna try to act like I know what I'm talking about, so I've dropped the "Long" from my 45 Colt conversations.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:39 pm

Actually, not so on the 45 Long Colt thing IF you go back far enough in time and see why the "Long" part of the name came to be. For instance, back when the Schofield 45 revolver was adopted by the Army, along with the Colt 1873 revolver chambered in 45 Colt, everyone had to be careful as to which 45 ammo they were using. The 45 Scofield (45 S&W) could be used in the Colt 1873 Army chambered in 45 Colt, but the 45 Colt -the long Colt cartridge - could not be used in the 45 Scofield guns. In fact, there is evidence that there were versions of a shorter 45 Colt being marketed at one time. See, http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylo ... t_colt.htm
3 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 pm

Cofisher wrote:I'm liking 'bangstick' tho. Brings it back to basics.
LOL, I am reminded of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3Bz6cIPiw
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:14 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Actually, not so on the 45 Long Colt thing IF you go back far enough in time and see why the "Long" part of the name came to be. For instance, back when the Schofield 45 revolver was adopted by the Army, along with the Colt 1873 revolver chambered in 45 Colt, everyone had to be careful as to which 45 ammo they were using. The 45 Scofield (45 S&W) could be used in the Colt 1873 Army chambered in 45 Colt, but the 45 Colt -the long Colt cartridge - could not be used in the 45 Scofield guns. In fact, there is evidence that there were versions of a shorter 45 Colt being marketed at one time. See, http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylo ... t_colt.htm
Yep, I've read through that backstory. Even though there was not "short colt," the 45 Colt somewhere along the way became the "Long Colt" to some, and it's stuck around in some corners of the firearms world, if I understand it correctly (which, of course, I might not!).
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:39 pm

Roddy, is that one of those Hollywood 3 shot double barrel Remington's? Lol
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:48 pm

Cofisher wrote:Roddy, is that one of those Hollywood 3 shot double barrel Remington's? Lol
LOL, gotta love Hollywood...I think there are points in that movie where it is at least a 5 or 6 shot double barrel Remington :roll: . Bruce Campbell makes me laugh. The whole "Boomstick" speach had me in tears the first time I saw it.
1 x

flat_topp
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by flat_topp » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:11 pm

ESquared wrote:Never, ever, ever is it a clip.
Unless you're trying to load 8 rounds of 30-06 into your M1 Garand.
clips.jpg
clips.jpg (58.09 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
2 x
H012M Big Boy Steel .357Mag/.38Spl
NRA, ISRA

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:25 pm

flat_topp wrote:
ESquared wrote:Never, ever, ever is it a clip.
Unless you're trying to load 8 rounds of 30-06 into your M1 Garand.

clips.jpg
Learning is a great thing! Thanks for that! :D

http://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/9- ... rms/249625#
0 x