Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

NEW Savage Mark II FV Heavy Barrel

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

NEW Savage Mark II FV Heavy Barrel

Post by henry22 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 am

Just some advice from anyone who owns any bolt action 22 really. I'm about to pull the plug on one of these, cheaper to shoot than 22 mag, and lots of fun an accurate enough I think for 50 yard plinking.

One question, when I try different 22LR ammo, if I buy 3-4 different boxes of ammo, does it matter how I test each batch?

With a clean barrel, should I run copper jacketed from the rifle FIRST, then boresnake the barrel, then lead bullets next, boresnake, repeat etc?

Does it matter what you run through the bore first in order to condition it?
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: NEW Savage Mark II FV Heavy Barrel

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:56 am

Excellent post and questions.

There are some that will be very religious about cleaning between brands and taking meticulous notes and then there will be some like me who take a much more casual approach arrive at conclusions after a lot of shooting. Both work.

I tend to keep it simple and casual. First, I draw no conclusions shooting from a clean bore. I allow for some fouling before I get serious about checking accuracy potential. Second, I don''t clean before switching loads, but I do allow for 3 or 4 shots for the barrel to season to the new load and proceed from there. Works for me. When I start to see consistency with the new load, then I get serious about accuracy conclusions. Sometimes, it takes as little as three shots with the new load, sometimes more. Don't be surprised if you get a POI shift when you go to a different load, by the way. It's very common. It's why I don't get too serious about adjusting sights till I start to see some consistency with a given load.

Also, and the point of my last post on that 223 we bought, don't get in a hurry with a new gun to jump to conclusions as to how it shoots. I've had some guns that would shoot at max potential, right out of the box, first session. I've had others that slowly, but surely, started to tighten up groups with each succeeding session. I've even had guns that changed their ammo preference the more I shot them. Don't forget to factor in all the other variables when drawing conclusions about accuracy, too. We all have good days and some not so good days and shooting conditions vary, widely. Then, too, be prepared for some surprises. I've had some cheaper loads do just as well as the high price stuff in certain guns. Spending more on ammo is no guarantee it will shoot better in your gun.

Lastly, be reasonable about accuracy expectations. Most of us are not shooting match guns, nor are we competing. For darn sure, there's more to shooting any specific gun that how small a group it will shoot, too. Keep it fun, get to know your rifle and, in time, it will tell you what it likes to shoot for ammo. Did I mention keep it fun? :).
4 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:05 pm

My .22 WMR rifle does good with Fiocchi ammo but in the Ruger 10-22 LR does better with Federal (710) 40 gr copper plated ammo. Like you I tried a few different brands: CCI, Aguila, and Winchester. I didn't switch ammo on the same range shoot though. You ask some very good questions.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:07 pm

Well thanks guys. I was just curious about 22LR. I only shoot the 40 grain maxi-mag through the H001M, so I don't really need any other comparisons. I've tried several others, and the Winchester Super X seems to do really well for some reason, as does the CCI stuff.

I had a game changer on the weekend. A guy let me shoot a few rounds through his Marlin 60. I HATED the springy feeling in the trigger, so no semi-autos for me. But he let me fiddle with his elevation, because it was shooting high about an inch. A few clicks, and few shots later, and we were hitting 1" potatoes and smaller from 50 yards. I was impressed, and so much cheaper!

It all comes down to ammo cost for me. I'm getting very comfortable with my H001M, and it's so much fun to shoot, but I can't make 2 range trips on a weekend and go through 250-300 rounds, it costs too much, so I'll need a 22LR to supplement.

I agree NCG, it's all about fun. I just don't want a plinker where the POI is all over the place. I don't want to spend another $600 on a CZ either, as fantastic as they are - I cant' afford another one.

I'd love to find a 22LR bolt action that loves cheap ammo. The guy at the range with the Marlin 60 was shooting Blazer bulk ammo, and it was accurate enough to whack little potatoes, and I thought, "I need a 22LR bolt action now".

It's a difficult situation, the 22 mag is so immediate, and reports with authority, which is so much fun, the 22LR is fun as well, just not as fun. NCG, we had the cleaning discussion months back, and every time I come home from the range, I'm cleaning my Henry, usually with Ballistol, a nylon brush on an Otis cable pull through, with patches at the end. I have found though, that the more rounds I put through it at the range, - past 100 to 150, it stays really accurate. And every-time I return to the range, I have to re-zero. — Is that a result of a really clean barrel, or is it having a cold barrel?

Now I'm thinking, maybe I shouldn't clean it after shooting session, even though I'm putting at least 150 rounds through it each trip. I thought that any residue and carbon in the barrel is corrosive over time, that it's better to clean a little more often, rather than a scub-fest in one sitting.

Personally, I'd rather just pound rounds through it until I hit 500-600, or until it's so fouled I lose accuracy. I've never let that many rounds go through it before cleaning it.
0 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 am

You may also want to check out a Ruger American Rimfire. We have one with a a low-end Simmons scope on it that is a pretty good shooter - probably good enough for those potatoes at 50 yds...
Ruger All-American Rimfire 22LR.JPG
Ruger All-American Rimfire 22LR.JPG (254.72 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:27 am

Unfortunately at times, our shooting "guide" is "….so much cheaper!" :( You have echoed my same experience when I had my Henry H001M. I had the magnum rimfire for just under one year, and put only 512 rounds down range...not that many rounds, which was due mainly to spendy magnum ammo. And you've exactly described the "fun level" difference between shooting a .22 magnum versus a .22LR....I found it to be the same. The .22 magnum was very much fun to shoot.

So now I only shoot .22LR with my Henry Small Game Carbine (H001TLP). But the SGC is so very accurate, I'm not missing shooting the magnum as much nowadays. :D

And very important, I totally agree when you agreed with NCG:
I agree NCG, it's all about fun.
PT7
henry22 wrote:….so much cheaper!

It all comes down to ammo cost for me. I'm getting very comfortable with my H001M, and it's so much fun to shoot, but I can't make 2 range trips on a weekend and go through 250-300 rounds, it costs too much, so I'll need a 22LR to supplement.

I agree NCG, it's all about fun. I just don't want a plinker where the POI is all over the place. I don't want to spend another $600 on a CZ either, as fantastic as they are - I cant' afford another one.

I'd love to find a 22LR bolt action that loves cheap ammo. The guy at the range with the Marlin 60 was shooting Blazer bulk ammo, and it was accurate enough to whack little potatoes, and I thought, "I need a 22LR bolt action now".

It's a difficult situation, the 22 mag is so immediate, and reports with authority, which is so much fun, the 22LR is fun as well, just not as fun.
0 x

~Пока~

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Shoot PT7, now you've got me thinking about buying another Henry in 22LR. I've debated it. I really love them. I even love the way mine smells. A hint of primer residue and G96, MMMMM.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:17 pm

henry22 wrote: - I'd love to find a 22LR bolt action that loves cheap ammo. The guy at the range with the Marlin 60 was shooting Blazer bulk ammo, and it was accurate enough to whack little potatoes, and I thought, "I need a 22LR bolt action now".

It's a difficult situation, the 22 mag is so immediate, and reports with authority, which is so much fun, the 22LR is fun as well, just not as fun. NCG, we had the cleaning discussion months back, and every time I come home from the range, I'm cleaning my Henry, usually with Ballistol, a nylon brush on an Otis cable pull through, with patches at the end. I have found though, that the more rounds I put through it at the range, - past 100 to 150, it stays really accurate. And every-time I return to the range, I have to re-zero. — Is that a result of a really clean barrel, or is it having a cold barrel?

Now I'm thinking, maybe I shouldn't clean it after shooting session, even though I'm putting at least 150 rounds through it each trip. I thought that any residue and carbon in the barrel is corrosive over time, that it's better to clean a little more often, rather than a scub-fest in one sitting.

Personally, I'd rather just pound rounds through it until I hit 500-600, or until it's so fouled I lose accuracy. I've never let that many rounds go through it before cleaning it.
To clean or not clean the bore on a rimfire is really a personal decision. Having to re-zero in your case is most likely a matter of starting over, again, with a clean bore, yes, but a warm barrel can also change POI a bit, though rimfires rarely have a hot barrel/cold barrel issue unless you are going Rambo, shooting a semi-auto with large capacity magazines, as fast as you can empty the mag. The hot barrel issue is mostly a centerfire issue.

On most rimfires, it will take a huge number of rounds to see a falloff, if any, in accuracy. This is usually a matter of leading. Some guns may have a tendency to lead, though, so on those guns, this can be an issue. High round counts tend to be more an issue as to gun functioning. Semi autos, in particular, need cleaning on a regular basis because they can get dirty enough to cause feeding and extraction issues. The Marlin Model 60, in fact, is known for this because it's not an especially easy action to take apart and clean. A gunsmith friend of mine made a pretty good profit by buying Marlin 60s from owners who thought their guns were broken and in need of repair when, in fact, they just needed a proper cleaning. He'd clean them up, then put them out on the rack and re-sell them. By the way, the Model 60 is quite accurate. Have seen some that were great shooters.

I rarely clean the bore after every session with our rimfires. Just haven't seen the need. In all my years I have never ruined or lost a single gun bore though rust or corrosion. I do tend to clean some types of guns more frequently than others, though. My revolvers, for instance get a good cleaning after every session for the sake proper function.

Finding a bolt action 22 LR that loves cheap ammo is very easy and very cheap to do. Just about any of the old used single shot 22 from Winchester, Remington, Mossberg, Savage, Marlin and so on can do this for you. Have/had examples of all of these and they are right there with a CZ. These can often be had for a song. Going single shot will keep ammo consumption down, too.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Coolio NCG. I was actually looking at a few used 22LR's at my gunsmith's shop. A few were single shots, but the issue was how to mount a scope on top of them. Some didn't look scope friendly. I may go visit him this week to take a look at what he has.

So, as for cleaning both the CZ and the Henry, I'll just wait until I've put 800-1000 rounds or so through each.

If I re-zero the Henry with a clean bore, and my POI is off since the last range trip, should I just keep shooting 10-15 rounds until the barrel is a bit fouled, then re-zero the scope?

That still throws me off - shooting last weekend, hitting bullseye's, and knowing that when I return to the range this weekend, I'll have to re-zero again because I've boresnaked the Henry.

If I put 100 rounds through the Henry this weekend, and I'm bang on bullseye, and I put it away without cleaning it, will the POI change that much the next range trip?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Don't get too obsessed with the need to make sight adjustments as needed, one session to the next. It's a perfectly normal part of the shooting game. Doing a sight check and making adjustments before any shooting for score is routine practice in competition matches. Competition shooters know very well how little it takes to change a POI, from one day to the next. They always do a sight check and adjust as needed before competition starts. In fact, time is typically given before the match starts for just this purpose. Being able to tweak the sights on a gun as needed, when ever needed, is a skill every serious shooter needs to develop. It's an ongoing thing, never a final thing.

I remember, vividly , as an eighth-grader in junior rifle club. I was in such a hurry to start shooting that I thought I could bypass the sight check that was part of the routine before shooting for score. After all, the sights were set, perfectly, the week, before. Just so happened that I shot the perfect target, that night, with all shots in the same small hole. Because I hadn't done my sight check, though, my windage was off by only one click. It pushed one shot out of the 10 ring into the 9. I would have been the first junior ever, to shoot a perfect 50 if I had followed my training protocol the letter.

My instructor chewed me out till my ears turned red, all the more so because I was his star student. I will never forget that incident. ( He later invited me to try out for the college team when I was of age.)
1 x