Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

NEW Savage Mark II FV Heavy Barrel

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Re: NEW Savage Mark II FV Heavy Barrel

Post by henry22 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:33 pm

How cool. So, you are in fact real "firearms advisor"? As in, that's what your job is? Is it related to military or law enforcement?

I was just curious about your title, you don't have to answer anything personal obviously. I just think it's cool that you know so much. That's one thing about shooting that I'm really starting to love, there is no "perfect" even for the best shooters. It's temporary, and only as good as you are with that rifle, that ammo, on that particular day. When you're on, you're ON, and when you're not, well..

So what is the normal process if my POI is off - as I expect it to be? Shoot a group of five, wait a few minutes, then shoot another five, then adjust my windage and elevation?
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:59 pm

My hats off to people that can shoot 22 or another gun for that matter and put round after round in the same hole or close to it on paper. But im just gonna throw this out. Im like PT I love my SGC and Ive never shot it on paper to even see what it will do. But it shoots clay pigeon moa all day at 50 yards with several different ammos and the fun factor for me is a 10 out of a 10. Just sayin
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:10 am

FUN = 10/10 all day! :D
Your sayin about your playin is a BULLSEYE.
BigAl52 wrote:My hats off to people that can shoot 22 or another gun for that matter and put round after round in the same hole or close to it on paper. But im just gonna throw this out. Im like PT I love my SGC and Ive never shot it on paper to even see what it will do. But it shoots clay pigeon moa all day at 50 yards with several different ammos and the fun factor for me is a 10 out of a 10. Just sayin
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 pm

henry22 wrote:How cool. So, you are in fact real "firearms advisor"? As in, that's what your job is? Is it related to military or law enforcement?

I was just curious about your title, you don't have to answer anything personal obviously. I just think it's cool that you know so much. That's one thing about shooting that I'm really starting to love, there is no "perfect" even for the best shooters. It's temporary, and only as good as you are with that rifle, that ammo, on that particular day. When you're on, you're ON, and when you're not, well..

So what is the normal process if my POI is off - as I expect it to be? Shoot a group of five, wait a few minutes, then shoot another five, then adjust my windage and elevation?
As to the title, no, nothing fancy or documented or pedigreed as to any expertise I might have, other than over forty years of shooting and buying, selling, and working with guns. It was an honorary title given to me when Sir Henry and the administrators invited me to join, based on our friendship on other forums. I was honored to receive the title and I've certainly tried to live up to the title, but I would have joined, regardless. Why? The people, here. A forum is only as good as its members and this one is as good as it gets. Please feel free to attach any significance to the title you wish or even ignore if it suits you.

As to the sight adjustments, yes, that is the basic procedure, but its simplicity belies a much more complicated issue and that is shooter competence. Is the gun off or is it my shooting? That question bedevils a beginner or even intermediate shooter until they have many years of shooting experience under their belt. When you get to the point where you can consistently predict, without looking at the target, where that bullet has hit - bullseye, high, low, right or left - after each shot, you're there. Checking the target after the shot, in other words, just confirms what you already know. Until then, adjusting your sights will involve a lot of trial and error shooting.
1 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:37 pm

Gotcha NCG. Thanks for the input. I had a good experience today at the range. There were some local police officers who had booked our 50 and 100 yard range for training. I plinked some potatoes and targets at the 25 yard range until they were finished.

What I notice, now more than ever, is almost all of the time, when my POI is off, it's definitely me. I figured this out by doing as you mentioned in a previous post, "resting the rifle under the receiver" - makes a HUGE difference. But I'm realizing the more I shoot, it's also how the rear rest is used. My Caldwell deadshot rear rest bag is nylon covered, the front bag is nylon on the bottom and sides, with a leather type of material (faux or real) not sure.

But the rear rest gives me a headache. The bottom slides across the table top of the bench (which is comprised of 2X4's). So to compensate, I'm usually squeezing the bag with my left hand, or sometimes pressing my chin into the left ear, and pushing my cheek into the comb, almost like when you're dozing off, resting your chin on your forearm. I find this to be the very best position, and I hit 95% of everything rested like this, and all potatoes.

The sliding of the bags is annoying, so today I bought a rubber mat at Wal-Mart. It's really rubbery, like a new car tire, almost sticky, and I think it'll stop the sliding of the bags.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:59 am

Full disclosure, I don't own a .22lr bolt action. I do, however, own a Savage bolt action centerfire rifle with the accutrigger. I will have to say that it is a tack driver, and I really like the accutrigger. I have shot several of my buddy's Savage rimfires, in .22lr .22 magnum and 17 WSM. They are all great shooting rifles.

As to the ammo question, I would suggest that CCI standard velocity is a great compromise in accuracy and cost. Wally World carries it for $3.50 a box around here, and I have found it to be far more accurate than any other non match grade ammo in all my .22s. I even find it to be more accurate than their Mini mags.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:05 pm

I agree on the CCI SV. It's a great choice as a target practice round that won't break the bank. Shoot it every range trip in one gun or another.
0 x