Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A odd video on Winchester 1873 and Henry rifles

MICoyote
Wrangler
United States of America

A odd video on Winchester 1873 and Henry rifles

Post by MICoyote » Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlXaHU2 ... 10&list=WL

Found this on YT while looking for some videos on the 1873.

First odd thing is that he says that because the Winchester is a tube fed and also the recoil, that straight wall cartridges, like the .45 Colt, can push the bullet deep into the case causing all sorts of problems. :?

Then he says that with the Henry that if you feed rounds into the tube with the rifle straight up, you can cause an "explosion"! :o

I guess he means that you'll detonate the rounds with them hitting the primers.

Usually, Shooting USA puts out good videos, but this one makes me scratch my head!

I've never heard these claims before.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: A odd video on Winchester 1873 and Henry rifles

Post by PT7 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:36 am

Only commenting on the Henry magazine tube load issue.
I've "heard" the same (can't remember from where or when) about not loading the Henry rifle straight up; could cause possible cartridge firing. So I double-checked the H006 Big Boy instruction manual on loading the rifle but no warning there. Also again watched the Henry maintenance video on loading a Big Boy, and no warning there about "straight-up loading."

Here's my take. I angle my Henry rifle whenever loading the magazine. Seems to me that there would be somewhat less pressure on the "dropping" bullet's firing pin with an angle-held position "slowing gravity" a bit. Cannot prove it's true, although I'm sure there are measurement tests to either validate or invalidate my perception.

Bottom line, I opt for what I believe is the safer way to load -- angle the rifle when loading. Just don't want to prove that loading a straight-up rifle could cause a bullet to fire. I like being overly cautious about gun safety.

This is an interesting issue, and thanks for bringing it up, Coyote. I'll be interested to hear comments from other Henry Folk.
PT7
MICoyote wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlXaHU2 ... 10&list=WL

Then he says that with the Henry that if you feed rounds into the tube with the rifle straight up, you can cause an "explosion"! :o
I guess he means that you'll detonate the rounds with them hitting the primers.
Usually, Shooting USA puts out good videos, but this one makes me scratch my head!
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed May 16, 2018 9:07 am

Both are common 'claims' in the world of lever action but it was not explained too clearly. He should have said (with regard to the 'explosion' comment) "therefore tube feed rifles require flat point or round nose bullets as opposed to pointed styles to prevent accidental primer detonation due to primer strikes during loading or recoil from shooting"
With regard to the 'the .45 Colt, can push the bullet deep into the case' this is true but he did go on to explain this is why the cannelure was developed.
He simply didn't explain both issues very clearly or intelligently.
3 x

MICoyote
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by MICoyote » Wed May 16, 2018 9:19 am

With regard to the 'the .45 Colt, can push the bullet deep into the case' this is true but he did go on to explain this is why the cannelure was developed.
I'm planning on buying a Winchester 1873, in .45C, and wasn't excepting this to be a problem.

Or is this a "once in a blue moon" type of problem.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 am

I called Henry a while ago, after another member posted a warning about using FMJs. I'd been reloading 130gr. FMJs and fired more than a thousand out of my Big Boy before I read his warning, so I wanted/needed to confirm it. I was told that they do, in fact, advise against using FMJs in their center fire rifles because the hard nose MIGHT/COULD POSSIBLY detonate a primer in the magazine tube if the rifle is dropped or otherwise subjected to a strong impact. Since then, I haven't used them in my Big Boy, out of an abundance of caution. And, of course, any pointed bullet should never be used unless it's tip is specifically designed for lever gun magazines. Those are the only ammo restrictions I'm aware of. JHPs, JSPs, SWCs, WCs, RNs, etc. are all OK.

I also load my Big Boy and the H001 on an angle, not so much to avoid a hard landing (which it does), but because it just feels natural.
3 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 am

Are you buying a Uberti 1873? Nice rifle. Same action as my 1860 and the 66. Smooth and effortless.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed May 16, 2018 9:40 am

Or is this a "once in a blue moon" type of problem.
Not to worry with modern, or properly loaded and crimped ammo.
4 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 am

I will however agree with not loading the Henry vertically - while primer detonation is rare no reason to chance it with a vertical falling cartridge.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 am

You'll never have a problem with the 45 Colt pushing bullets into the case with factory ammo, these days. Could happen if you use improperly crimped reloads, but then it would be a problem in any gun, not just a lever gun. Have used factory heavy "Ruger only" 45 Colt loads in a revolver and never had the problem and, believe me, those recoil MUCH more than standard 45 Colt loads. May have been an issue in the early days, as mentioned, but those days are long gone.

As for the mag tube issue, the odds of lighting off a round with so little force involved is very remote, about the same as accidentally dropping a round to the ground, below, and having a round go off from striking an object on the ground. Good advice, though, to load at at an angle, even so.
4 x

MICoyote
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by MICoyote » Wed May 16, 2018 10:01 am

RanchRoper wrote:Are you buying a Uberti 1873? Nice rifle. Same action as my 1860 and the 66. Smooth and effortless.
No, an actual Winchester Model 73 Sporter Octagon Walnut/Blued 45LC 24-inch 14Rnd Pistol Grip for $920 from garabagun.
3 x