Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ 455 Varmint, .17 HMR factory proof round

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

CZ 455 Varmint, .17 HMR factory proof round

Post by henry22 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:32 am

Hi guys. I have a new one that just occurred to me. I found the target page that CZ ships with their rifles in the plastic sleeve, but never gave it much thought.

CZ 455 .17 HMR factory target: https://ibin.co/3wlmsqSJZf0J.png
Note: This image was cropped and resized, exactly to 2.75 inches in diameter to accurately represent the same diameter circle on the printed version I have from CZ. Their scale is identical.

CZ 455 .17 HMR factory data sheet: https://ibin.co/3wlnWoDaGHMP.jpg

So if I understand this correctly, at 50 meters, (54 yards), these 5 proof rounds are are all off center of the cross-hair on the target, and the dark filled in circle is the "mean point of impact", or average distance from each of the 5 rounds that are un-shaded.

QUESTIONS:

1: Assuming these 5 rounds were fired at 50 meters, (54 yards) without the use of a mounted sight-scope etc, would you expect a much tighter group at 50, or 100 yards with a scope?

2: How are these rifles test fired with proof rounds in the factory?

Do they use a rest, a temporary sight etc?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: CZ 455 Varmint, .17 HMR factory proof round

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:17 am

Lots of discussion on this over on RFC. Th consensus, and I agree with it, is that it's a basic function test and little more. Have never found any correlation, one way or the other, between the test target and what the rifle could actually do, nor have I ever had a target with shots perfectly zeroed. The ONLY way to find out what the rifle will do is to shoot it.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:33 am

NCG is right. Function only. Not accuracy testing of the rifle. If the target was a indication of how that rifle was going to shoot a lot of them would never leave the gun shop if people looked at a target as bad as some look. I have targets with a few of my 452's that were far better than some but I know these rifles are not accuracy tested so it means nothing to me. I have seen some tight 5 shot groups on the factory target with 17 Mach 2's and HMR's. I don't own a 452 22 or 22 mag. that doesn't out perform the targets by quite a bit with a variety of ammo.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:40 am

Awesome guys, thank you. I'm still new to this, and like anything else, like building a house, or how well a guitar resonates because of the wood, nut, bridge, saddles and materials etc, coupling of the guitar neck to the body, type of joint, on and on.

Rifles are no different. They're all inherently different to some degree, as I'm finding out. I saw one you tube video yesterday, where a guy was playing with the torque settings in pounds for the trigger assembly/guard, from 40 pounds, down to 5 pounds of torque, just to demonstrate how a given group could tighten, or open up. How interesting this stuff is.

And then another video, where a woman talked about how to rest your rifle on a rest pad - never on the underside of the barrel, and on a lever, directly under the fore-end's band, or behind it.

Everything seems more clear to me in the last week or so. So much to learn.
1 x