Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester Model 1885

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Winchester Model 1885

Post by Mgderf » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Some years ago a friend called to say he was in some hard financial times and had a few firearms he was willing to part with.
He knew I would be interested.
I ended up buying an 1885 "Low-Wall" that had been heavily modified.
The stock had been replaced with a heavy Monte Carlo style stock, and the gun had been re-barreled.
The re-barreling was a very professional job, so much so that my friend had not realized grandpa's gun had been modified.
The re-barreling was done with a Winchester model 52 barrel, which I have come to realize was a highly sought after rim-fire of the day.

So, my Low-Wall is now a .22lr instead of the .22short offering.
It shoots like a dream, with absolutely zero recoil, and is MUCH more accurate than I am.

I do get a kick out of the puny little pfft that exits the barrel when the trigger is pulled.
With sub-sonic .22lr's it doesn't make as much noise as some break-barrel pellet rifles I have.

I got my Low-Wall for the amazing low price of $200.
Wish I could find a like deal on the .45-70...
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:58 pm

That is an amazing find, Mgderf, just amazing.

Yes, the Model 52 is still a very highly prized rifle, even to this day. Winchester put their best effort in that model.

We have several Low Walls in various rimfires and we shoot them probably more than any of our 22 rifles. We did NOT get any of them, though, for $200. :)

Would love to see some pics, if you get a chance.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Congrats on scoring an heirloom. Good to see old firearms being enjoyed doing what they were made for.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)