Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

slam fire

Travlin
Cowboy

Re: slam fire

Post by Travlin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:27 pm

By now you all know , I posted on this about a year and a half ago. The Winchester 61 will and my Winchester 97 shotgun will.
1 x

Pecospete
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Pecospete » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks Fortyshooter
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:21 am

I bet a screw like what The Rifleman had would work. Or if you practice you can shoot very rapid by releasing the trigger for a split second while working the pump. No need to release it before pumping it and no need to wait till it’s fully locked into battery.

You can do the same thing to the H001 but I think it would wear the leading edge of the lever out really fast. I have a few that wore out early learning how to do it so it. Now I keep my trigger finger in the same spot on the lever so the moment the lever is down my finger is on the trigger. It’s works best if you are shooting from the hip although you can shoulder it and do the same thing.

I’m betting you could learn to time it just right on a pump to accomplish the same thing.

I can shoot just as fast as Chuck Connors. My problem is I can’t aim it as good.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:17 pm

One of the most popular shot guns made, Winchester Mod.12, fires every time cycled by holding the trigger in the fire position. Some of the old guns that have worn parts can be damaged when they fire out of battery. I prefer the Remington 870 trigger set up of needing the trigger released every cycle before it will fire.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:20 pm

On his return from Nam, one of my uncles was having trouble finding work. He was told the State Pen was hiring, and giving a veteran's preference. He hustled down. There were fifty applicants for about five positions, but he needed a job, especially one with full state benefits. He filled out the app, and worked his way thru the process. Written test, background, fingerprints, standard stuff. He came in for the interview and was one of a dozen they shunted off to a room to "wait.". After an hour or so, they asked them if they knew how to shoot. No one said no. So, they loaded them all on a bus and drove them to the range. :o

There they had 1911s, bolt action rifles, and riot guns. A couple of the non-military guys did okay with the rifles and shotguns, but couldn't hit the target frame, let alone the black, at 15 yards, with the handguns.

When my uncle was up with the shotgun, they said load three rounds, and on the sound of the whistle, fire three as fast as you can and still hit the target. He did as he was told. When the whistle blew, he fired. There were two others on the line as well.

The rangemaster asked why he lowered his shotgun after one shot. He told him he fired all three. They looked at his target... Three slam fired slugs in a ragged hole in the center, fired as fast as the others fired one. He grinned at the rangemaster.

"I carried a sawn off pump in Nam..." :D

He got the job.
11 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:00 pm

Marine, that was a fantastic read! Good for your uncle. Excellent!
0 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:11 pm

The old gun that slam fire ARE NOT ILLEAGAL.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:25 pm

Must have been a model 12 Winchester or a 97 as an 870 won't slam fire.
0 x