Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Pump observation

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Henry Pump observation

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:47 pm

I just couldnt stand it anymore and today I bought the Henry pump in 22LR. Do I like it yes I do. Obviously its different from the lever. When I first loaded the gun up it was stiff and the action took some concentration to work. The stroke is very short and to me its best done by gripping the forend with your hand over the front of the forend. The gun is very accurate and I think it might be more accurate than the levergun models for me. I shot it at 25 yards and put 250 rounds thru it today. I had a target that had a 3 inch red dot bull on it and it literarly shot the bull out of that target. Not sure how many rounds I put on that target as I started at a closer range to sight the gun in. Its still a little stiff but after cleaning it when I got home I feel like it loosened up some more. Henry doesnt reccomend taking this pump apart and they tell you to clean it from the muzzle end. I dont like to clean that way and I have an Otis cleaning system which works great for guns that you cannot clean from the chamber to the muzzle. After cleaning the gun and lubing the bolt I felt like the action was smoother. I hope to get out again soon to put another 250 plus rounds thru it and see what that does. But I can tell you this I like the gun and its the first pump action I have ever used. I look forword to shooting it again. Al
Last edited by BigAl52 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Henry Pump observation

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:21 pm

congratulations indeed .... really looking forward to your coming reports
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Cool. Can you post some pics?
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Get yourself a Speed D Loader from H.R.A. It will mean more time at the range to shoot and less time used to load. I use one with my Henry Pump.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:13 pm

Ditto next time I go the to range to shoot paper I will post a picture of my target. Travlin. Thanks for the tip on the speed loaders Im going to order some of those along with another one of those Orange Henry gun cases. Those cases are nice and I like orange anyway. I have one now but with more than one Henry I think I need another case. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Congratulations, I am glad for you that you could get it and that you are so pleased with it. Sounds very accurate!
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:51 am

Congratulations, Al. You'll have lots of fun from your new rifle. ;)

When I got mine, it was very tight too, so I stripped it and lubed it - there was absolutely NO lube inside from the factory - and took off a couple of rough edges, and now it is very smooth. It still needs to be pumped with a bit of authority, but not enough to spoil the enjoyment. :D
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:39 am

Les
I watched a video on how to strip it but I havent tried it yet may need to watch it again. I see in the manuel Henry doesnt reccomend it. It did losen up quite a bit in the 250 I put thru it but I bet another 250 it will smooth up some more. Al
1 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:23 pm

I Love mine, Congratulations on you're new pump. I do not mind the sharp pump that the Henry makes you do. It works it works very well and like said a joy to shoot. I had a old Remington model 12 that was really sweet to shoot. Pumped very easily, it was even more of a joy with that smooth pump action. I got rid of it though because tired of looking for SV ammo for it. I wish Henry would do something to lighten the pump action up on their rifles, but probably not. They do not seem to be a really big seller. Not many around and do not see them in the shops that often.

They are also pretty accurate to shoot. Mine is the only one of the 22 rifles that I scoped. Dead shot with her too. I also had to cut the length of pull down on my pump, I am only 5'5" tall and she handles so much sweeter with the shorter length of pull for me. Real Joy.

Again Congratulations
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:27 pm

BigAl52 wrote: I see in the manuel Henry doesnt reccomend it. Al
You read the manuals? :o :shock: :mrgreen:
4 x