Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My 4th Henry was a dud

gunman5646
Tenderfoot
United States of America

My 4th Henry was a dud

Post by gunman5646 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:35 pm

I just finished sending my H003T back to N.J. for repairs. My fist Henry was a BB steel in .357. A wonderful rifle, smooth, accurate, and well balanced. My second was a H003TM , again smooth, accurate, and well balanced. The third a youth model H001 for my youngest grandson, which he hasn't seen yet. I took my fourth, a new 22 LR pump rifle, to the range for the first time, last Friday and fired about 200 rds through it. Accuracy was good for the quality of ammo I was using, but the action was stiff and had intermittant failures. My last round failing to chamber as I had to pick it out of the feed ramp, carefully with a dental tool.This rifle was not to the usual performance of my other Henrys ; so I called customer service . I've got to compliment the guys in CS, they really got things going . UPS label was e-mailed to me in less than 24 hrs, and the rifle was on it's way the next A.M..
Has anyone else experienced a problem with their H003T action? Both levers and the magnum work fine, so I'm thinking that this is just a dud that slipped under the QC radar. I am planning to use this rifle in NRA smallbore cowboy silouette competition this coming year. Will be adding a peep sight, either a tang or a receiver. :oops:
0 x
Have gun, will travel

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: My 4th Henry was a dud

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT, gunman. HRAC will turn that H003T around quickly and it will make you smile again.

Skinner Sights is a sponsor here and Andy's quality and commitment to this customers is on par with Henry. I'm looking forward to your next report about what you select for the peep.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:27 pm

There are a few thread chats about the Henry pump. Definitely a different loading configuration than a lever-action.
Don't recall much in terms of problems with them, other than the stiffness of the pump action. I think some folk said that smooths out with time. I handled one at my LGS, and I remember how short the pump action is. It's an interesting set up.

Mostly what I've read is how much fun the pump is to shoot, and how accurate it is, too. ;)

Anyway, Henry will make it right....no worries whatsoever there.
You'll be more than pleased with their CS as they bring that pump to your satisfaction!
0 x

~Пока~

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:41 pm

I suppose everybody makes a dud occasionally - even Henry - but I'm sure they'll get you smiling again in no time flat. ;)
1 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:42 pm

Welcome, OP. Just out of curiosity, what ammo were you using in your pump?
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:00 pm

ditto1958 wrote:Welcome, OP. Just out of curiosity, what ammo were you using in your pump?
I was wondering the same thing.

If I remember right Henry had problems with the first generation of the H003T. The cycling was much to hard for most everyone and I hear the new one is still hard but not impossible. I'm guessing there is some little burr that is causing the problem.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:32 pm

The "word" on the Henry pump has always been that it doesn't cycle as easily or as smoothly as did the many pump action 22's of old. Still, most Henry pump owners seem to like their rifles. I imagine that with use, the action gets a lot better.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:41 pm

ditto1958 wrote:The "word" on the Henry pump has always been that it doesn't cycle as easily or as smoothly as did the many pump action 22's of old. Still, most Henry pump owners seem to like their rifles. I imagine that with use, the action gets a lot better.
From what I'm told the Henry has a shorter stroke and that just compounds any hitch.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:37 am

I would say that the stroke on my Henry pump is fairly easy. Perhaps I just got lucky, or maybe Henry has improved the action. Either way, I'm more than happy with my H003T. :D
2 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:04 am

Best of luck getting it turned around. Shouldn't be too long.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag