Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My Henry pump .22 lr

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

My Henry pump .22 lr

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:07 am

I was able to purchase a .22lr Henry Pump brand new at a good price, from my favorite LGS. I was stoked to get it, but funds didn't allow. A windfall happened and I picked it up in June, 2015. It sat in a corner as life passed by.

Today was the day. It saw day light, briefly. I went to my parents and the range is OOOh so close. About four miles in all. I stopped at the range and the police were there. I went to a range that no one was on, there are three. One pistol range that the police have booked mostly year round, and two rifle ranges. I went to the short rifle range as I wanted to shoot at 50 yds, off hand, to sight it in. About the time I got set up, the local police instructor approached me and asked how long I would be there, as they were intending to use the range in about an hour. I said fine, I was about a half hour and gone. Time was that the pistol range was all they needed. Now, they have pistols and shotguns that suffice on the pistol range, but they also pack rifles and want a 75 to 100 yd range too.

I was gone in the allotted time. Just enough to put 50 downrange. I got it sighted in and was gone, onto the next task at my parents place.

Here are a couple of photos.

I love my new pump. It cycles very smoothly and sharply. It has a great trigger and shouldered well. The octagonal barrel balanced just the way I like it.

All in all, I like it better than all the other .22 lr Henry's. I like pumps. Shotguns and rifles, I have several. This is the first .22lr and it's a keeper. I'm sure you will hear more about it as we are about to kick the pump section on the forum up a notch or two. :guns:
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: My Henry pump .22 lr

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:40 pm

Now I want one. Love the cup of coffee in the picture. Where did you get that idea? :lol:
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:23 am

I finally got a chance to handle one of these beauties last week. I stopped into the Palmetto State Armory store in Greenville SC.
I was impressed, very solid feel to the pump. The rifle did feel heavier than expected when the clerk handed it to me. But the more I handled it and shouldered it the better it felt.
I definitely want a lever action carbine first but a pump is now solidly in second place.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:42 am

RetiredSeabee wrote:I finally got a chance to handle one of these beauties last week. I stopped into the Palmetto State Armory store in Greenville SC.
I was impressed, very solid feel to the pump. The rifle did feel heavier than expected when the clerk handed it to me. But the more I handled it and shouldered it the better it felt.
I definitely want a lever action carbine first but a pump is now solidly in second place.
They made a round barreled one at first but now I believe they are octagon which would make it heavier.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:55 pm

They do have an octagon barrel but I don't think my Henry pump is as heavy as my Marlin 39 with it's 24 inch barrel.
0 x

Danwin22
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Danwin22 » Fri May 06, 2016 11:33 am

Not too many pump .22's available any more and finding one that has scope mount grooves is tough.

I already have a sweet little Rossi copy of a Winchester model-62 but it's not grooved for a scope.

1 x
USAF 1958-62, NRA Member, CWP

jon p
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jon p » Sat May 07, 2016 2:44 pm

I have always wanted a rossi pump, the stainless steel short barrel carbine.yeah right, if I win the lottery! you have a beautiful little pump there.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat May 07, 2016 4:40 pm

daytime dave wrote:I was able to purchase a .22lr Henry Pump brand new at a good price, from my favorite LGS. I was stoked to get it, but funds didn't allow. A windfall happened and I picked it up in June, 2015. It sat in a corner as life passed by.
Beautiful rifle, Dave. I'm glad you finally got to shoot it! I hope you get to do it much more often.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:42 pm

Dave, now I want one, too! Very nice.

Sir Henry, what is it about coffee at shooting ranges? The range I shoot at here is always pushing their coffee. Seems like it's the last thing a fella needs when he's trying to be steady enough to shoot straight. I think they want me to miss. :)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 12, 2016 10:09 pm

ditto1958 wrote:Dave, now I want one, too! Very nice.

Sir Henry, what is it about coffee at shooting ranges? The range I shoot at here is always pushing their coffee. Seems like it's the last thing a fella needs when he's trying to be steady enough to shoot straight. I think they want me to miss. :)
I drink tea most range days. Our range has no amenities but some have latte stands and even a café.
0 x