Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

AR-7 New Purchase

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

AR-7 New Purchase

Post by ChefDuane » Tue May 19, 2020 5:07 pm

Bought a AR-7 at Cabela's today. I'm putting together a bug-out bag and wanted a survival rifle to pack in it. I looked at the Ruger 10/22 takedown but it was just more than I wanted to spend. The AR-7 packs into the buttstock and only weights a few lbs. Its not a range toy or a plinker but a true survival rifle. Cabela's had it for $249 so $269.54 out-the-door. BUT (and what a big but it is) with a price match it came down $20 and with my Veteran Discount and some Cabela's Club bucks I had it came down to $212 and change out-the-door. A savings of $57. Not too bad. It has to be ordered so I'll have in a few days. Prolly fire it a few times to check it out and then in the BOB it goes.
3 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: AR-7 New Purchase

Post by Cofisher » Tue May 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Good choice dude. Not a man killer. But, everything else? Hell yeah. I’m with you buddy.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue May 19, 2020 6:03 pm

congrats .... I hope there is one in our future .... looking forward to your impressions as you get better acquainted with it .... be sure to add it to our community total at the link below

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 48#p136148
1 x

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Tue May 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Thanks guys. My dad had one of the Charter AR7's years ago and the quality was terrible. Henry has brought that up significantly and this fit the bill perfectly. This will be a survivor squirrel killer and small game as needed bag gun. If the SHTF big time I have other toys to deal with the situation as required. ;)
0 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

Scottso67
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Scottso67 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:35 am

I just picked up my AR-7. I could only find it on an online gun shop as none were here locally (NY). Took it to the range and had some fun. A few jam ups but nothing terrible. Do you get many jam ups or is it just mine? Thanks
0 x
H024 Side Gate Lever Action Rifle .3030
H012MX Big Boy X Model .357
H001 Classic Lever Action .22
Henry H002C AR-7

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:21 am

Scottso67 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:35 am
A few jam ups but nothing terrible.
What ammo, and did you try several types? When in doubt, try MiniMags, they are the only thing I use, unless it is a specialty round like SemiAuto Quiet, which functions perfectly in both my 10/22 and my 22/45. I personally have no use for cheap bulk .22LR ammo, especially the wax covered stuff, it is just too frustrating to deal with.

Post pictures, I have always been interested in these but never shot one. How is the trigger? Is there any spare ammo storage in the butt? My 10/22 TD has the wonderful Magpul stock with spare mag storage and also the space inside the grip, which will hold a fair number of rounds in a zip bag.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:58 pm

Scottso67 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:35 am
A few jam ups but nothing terrible. Do you get many jam ups or is it just mine? Thanks
I just checked with a good friend who has had an AR7 for several years .... he says he only uses top of the line Remington or CCI Mini Mags and has had zero ejection issues
0 x

Scottso67
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Scottso67 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:38 am

Thanks for the reply. I shot 100 rds of CCI and another 50 rds of Federal. Both had some jams. Like I said nothing major. Maybe just my break-in period. I gave it a real good cleaning when I got home. I will take it out again hopefully next week.

Trigger action works fine. An easy gun to set up, load, shoot and breakdown. My wife on her first time out handled this with ease. It comes with two 8 rd magazines that fit inside the stock. You can also leave a third magazine in the well (though I haven't tried this yet, but I will to confirm) No really other place for ammo but I will give it another look over. A pretty accurate gun. Once broken down it fits perfectly in the side cargo area on my rifle bag. No special carry bag. Enjoy it.

Scott
2 x
H024 Side Gate Lever Action Rifle .3030
H012MX Big Boy X Model .357
H001 Classic Lever Action .22
Henry H002C AR-7

Hobart
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hobart » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:47 pm

I’ve owned two Henry AR7’s. The first one had problems and Henry replaced it. The replacement is fine, but after owning two, it’s my opinion that they just aren’t 100% reliable. I get occasional feed jams. I use CCI Mini Mags. It’s a fun gun and accurate, but the small critters you’re shooting at will have about a 2% chance of escaping due to one kind of jam or another.
1 x

cphilip
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cphilip » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:38 am

I just picked up one of these at Academy sports. I paid $249 for it in this crazy buying time we in now.

I then ordered the bag and a pack of 2 more mags for it that came in just under 80 bucks. I am stocking it similar to the way they were sold as a package. A couple of space blankets. Tin of soaked fire cotton. Knife. Magnesium fire starter. 100 foot of Para cord. thinking about other things to put in there like some other sources of fire starting. In the end you can put this all together for a very reasonable $350 or so. Depends on how elaborate you go with the things you put in the bag.

I've shot CCI Mini Mag out of it so far with 100% reliability out of the 2 stock mags. I ran 5 mags worth through It and had no FTF or FTEs. I have not tested the 2 extras I bought but the gun allows for 3 mags to be stored in and on it. One in the receiver and two in the slot in the butt stock. So the 4th and extra one is now in the bag giving me a total of 32 rounds read to use. I have some Remington Golden bullets I want to try in there as well. I have had as good a results with that as I have the mini mags but I want to confirm that and then, of course, its hard to find either right now. I want to pack a 100 box in that bag when I can.

I shopped the 10-22 Ruger take down. The Backpacker one. But the cost was almost double this one and it doesn't pack quite as tightly as this AR-7 does... plus there is the nostalgia of it all with the Stoner design. I also feel the straight mag design is better than the rotary design of the 10-22. I dunno... the Backpacker is neat design. I might opt to get one of those someday too. This one just fits a budget better plus the accessory bag just allows for a more robust package.

I like it. And for about $350 all in you end up with a nice package of bag, provisions and firearm.

Added on edit: I just shot some Federal Champion out of it and it also shot flawlessly. This stuff is very similar in FPS to the CCI mini mag at 1250 or so...so I figured it would be fine. I also shot some of it out of a Ruger "Take down" 10/22 and a Walther PPKs as well. Both shot flawlessly with this Federal. Not cheap but nothing with a good power is now days. I ran into a tub of 1325 rounds of this for $119 so again... not cheap. Good stuff though. It works well in the AR7 and the finicky Walther too. And that says something.
Last edited by cphilip on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x