Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My AR-7 vids.

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: My AR-7 vids.

Post by Hrfunk » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:44 am

I'll answer your last question first, if that's OK. The sight picture is your typical rear aperture/front post type of picture. It is adequate for the intended purpose of the rifle, and there is a small (precision) and large (speed) aperture available for your use. Switching between the two is not as "user friendly" as something like an AR15. For the AR7, you actually need a screwdriver to switch from one to the other. The rear sight itself is nothing more than a thin stip of metal with an aperture drilled into either end and a screw hole in the center. The screw hole is elongated so the thin strip of metal can be raised and lowered when the screw is loosened. Tightening the screw holds the sight in place. Windage is adjustable by drifting the front sight right or left. The good news is that the plastic sight can actually be moved with finger pressure, although a small hammer and punch makes the task a little easier. The bad news is that if the front sight is bumped, it can move rather easily and alter your point of impact. You could potentially glue the front sight in place, but then you would not be able to adjust it if you want to do so at some point in the future. Probably the best fix would be to shim it and increase the friction between the sight and the dovetail, but I have not tried that yet.

You also have one other option with regard to the rear sight. That is to completely remove the thin strip of metal (i.e. the rear sight) and use the rear sight hood as a "ghost ring". I haven't tried that yet either, but I suspect doing so would be detrimental to top accuracy. Still, we're talking about a survival rifle that is intended to be "minute of squirrel" at 20 yards or so. In that role, it does fine so long as a bit of care is exercised with regard to the front sight.

Howard
0 x