Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry AR-7

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Henry AR-7

Post by daytime dave » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:17 pm

The AR-7 is a neat gun. It's fun to shoot and I like mine. It doesn't take much to take it with you.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:45 am

It is very compact looking, and I'd feel like the Man from Uncle!
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:52 am

The man from Uncle. Now that really shows are age RR. I got a laugh out of that comment. I saw the AR-7 in camo. I kind of like that one might need one of those to. James Bond comes to mind also. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

jshob56
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jshob56 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:33 am

The AR-7 was actually used in a James Bond movie, Dr. No or From Russia With Love, I think. He uses it to take out a helicopter pilot.
I have one of the Armalite AR-7's from back in the '60s. It belonged to my grandfather. He and I used it for plinking at a gun club he belonged to in the Poconos just before he passed away in 1969. It's a straight shooter and I still use it at the range and for dispatching groundhogs and the occasional raccoon that was dumb enough to wander into the baited groundhog trap.

Jack
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:49 am

I'm really enjoying reading the different prospectives and do appreciate folks taking time to comment .... historically, when I bought a firearm, it was bought with a specific purpose in mind .... usually to fill a specific hunting, professional or protection need .... by professional I mean, at one time I worked for a western town (tourist trap) where I gave fast draw and shooting demonstrations .... I don't ever recall purchasing one just for fun or just to look at (no wall hangers) .... I have no need for an AR-7 but one just might be my first "want to" .... heck, now that I'm over 70, why not :?:
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:53 am

as a bit of info .... "AR does NOT stand for Assault Rifle, as is commonly believed. AR stands for the original company that manufactured it, ArmaLite. ArmaLite sold their rights to the AR-10 and AR-15 designs in 1959 to Colt. "

from this link ==> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=AR-15
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:30 am

the more I research the AR 7, the more impressed I am with it .... at 3 lbs I believe it would be a great .22 rifle to use with training younger shooters who may not be strong enough to handle adult level rifles .... the MSRP for the black model is $290, the camo model is $350 ... I have found that around here the black model can actually be purchased for around $250 (out the door)
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:05 pm

A fun and interesting thread. Thanks to JEBar for being the OP and starting it, and also to all the posters.

I've looked at the AR-7 from time-to-time, and it looks like a lot of fun. In various evals/reviews I've read, I recall only one negative comment --- and it's not that significant. Since there is no forearm furniture, the shooter is holding this rifle up by the bare barrel. If a lot of rounds are shot, it will get warm (maybe hot?) to the touch. Don't actually know what is takes to get a .22 barrel really hot, but on a toasty summer day, it might approach that. I see the simple solution is to wear a glove on that hand. Maybe someone who owns this Henry model might comment on this.

That is my definitely less than 2 cents on this thread. I think it would be a neat rifle to have at any age from 7-70!
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 pm

PT7 wrote:A fun and interesting thread. Thanks to JEBar for being the OP and starting it, and also to all the posters.

I've looked at the AR-7 from time-to-time, and it looks like a lot of fun. In various evals/reviews I've read, I recall only one negative comment --- and it's not that significant. Since there is no forearm furniture, the shooter is holding this rifle up by the bare barrel. If a lot of rounds are shot, it will get warm (maybe hot?) to the touch. Don't actually know what is takes to get a .22 barrel really hot, but on a toasty summer day, it might approach that. I see the simple solution is to wear a glove on that hand. Maybe someone who owns this Henry model might comment on this.

That is my definitely less than 2 cents on this thread. I think it would be a neat rifle to have at any age from 7-70!
with an 8 shot clip and 2 clips, I don't know that barrel heating from shooting is very likely ..... sure hope it would be neat rifle for those over 70 because I'm 70 right now ... :lol:
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:09 pm

If 70 is the optimal age to start shooting an AR-7, I only need to wait until Christmastime this year. Come to think of it, that would be a fun December present! :lol:

Go for it, Jim. Gotta have fun lined out for the 7th decade!

JEBar wrote:with an 8 shot clip and 2 clips, I don't know that barrel heating from shooting is very likely ..... sure hope it would be neat rifle for those over 70 because I'm 70 right now ... :lol:
0 x

~Пока~