Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Here's a few pics of my AR-7

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Here's a few pics of my AR-7

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue May 31, 2016 10:15 pm

Sir Henry wrote:Does it come with a case?
This made me smile. :) The butt stock is the case. :D
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Top Dog
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Top Dog » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:11 am

Back in the 50's,I had an original Armalite AR-7. It was so-so with the ammo and retail,at that time was $49. I had since sold it off and in '74 purchased the Charter Arms version. Even though I am a huge fan of Charter Arms,I am sad to say that they managed to keep all the flaws of the original. I never could get a full magazine of ammo through it w/o a jam regardless of the ammo used.

When Henry came out with their version,it was obvious that they had made a number of improvements and with CCI mini mags it functioned flawlessly. A few years later I added their survival kit to their case and now have a perfect combination for canoe travel.

I take the precaution of using a carbiner clip to attach it to a life preserver in the canoe. Yes,I am sure that the gun can float but I tend to make certain that I have all bases covered.

Top Dog
1 x

jkrijt
Wrangler
Netherlands

Post by jkrijt » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:36 am

Top Dog wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:11 am
When Henry came out with their version,it was obvious that they had made a number of improvements and with CCI mini mags it functioned flawlessly. A few years later I added their survival kit to their case and now have a perfect combination for canoe travel.
It is a survival rifle but I wonder, is it also strong enough as a regular plinker?
Can I shoot thousands of rounds with it ? I think about buying one because it is easy to take it with me on my motorcycle or bicycle when I go to the shooting range.
0 x
Jan from The Netherlands
- Henry "Small Game" .22lr
- A few CZ rifles and a pistol
- Uberti Cattleman revolver
- Two Diana Air rifles, one in .17 (it is from 1974) and one in .22 (also old)

Top Dog
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Top Dog » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:14 am

I am certain that the Henry Survival Rifle will go many thousands of rounds w/o a breakdown. One thing will wear and stretch a bit is the butt stock cap but that is easily replaced with a call to customer service which is second to none.

Just make certain that you make sure the that barrel nut is tight (not super tight) after a number of rounds. Just a quick twist is all that is needed.

I am super happy with mine.

Top Dog
1 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:21 am

It is a survival rifle but I wonder, is it also strong enough as a regular plinker?
Can I shoot thousands of rounds with it ? I think about buying one because it is easy to take it with me on my motorcycle or bicycle when I go to the shooting range.
As of yesterday I have fired 3006 rounds through mine with no damage or signs of excessive wear. Still not reliable with standard velocity ammunition but runs great with CCI Mini Mags both 36 gr and 40 gr.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:23 am

Welcome to the forum from CT. Thanks for joining the conversation.
armycat wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:21 am
As of yesterday I have fired 3006 rounds through mine with no damage or signs of excessive wear. Still not reliable with standard velocity ammunition but runs great with CCI Mini Mags both 36 gr and 40 gr.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:32 pm

armycat wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:21 am
As of yesterday I have fired 3006 rounds through mine
that's the most I recall hearing being fired through an AR7 .... welcome indeed to our forum .... happy to have you join us .... do hope you will feel free to read and post often be sure to follow the link below and add your Henry rifle(s) to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 54#p133454
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:26 pm

welcome !!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:14 pm

Thanks for the welcoming comments.

I have a Charter Arms AR-7 which has always worked well for me with the right ammunition. I have read a lot of forums where people claim that AR-7s are crap regardless of who manufactured them. Comments like "will jam every three rounds", "made of plastic and pot metal, won't last 10 rounds". It seems a lot of negative comments come from people that have never used or owed one.

Just over two years ago I bought a Henry U.S. Survival Rifle H002B. I have tracked the type of ammunition used, number of rounds fired, malfunctions and anything else I though was relevant. I think it's a neat little rifle and enjoy shooting it.

As of today 3224 rounds fired, 90 FTF, 87 FTE, 25 misfires. Failure rate 6.3%. Majority of the FTF are attributed to one magazine. Like many semi-autos it likes some ammo and dislikes some ammo. Top three for me, CCI Mini Mag 36gr CPHP, CCI Mini Mag 40gr CPRN and Hornady Varmint Express 40gr LRN. Still waiting for something to break or wear out.

I'm tempted to buy a 10/22 to track the percentage of failures and see how comparible they are.
0 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

My Charter Arms AR-7 and Henry U.S. Survival Rifle.
Attachments
IMG_6969.JPG
IMG_6969.JPG (119.55 KiB) Viewed 715 times
0 x