Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

AR-7 - Henry Picatinny Rail

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
armycat
Wrangler
Canada

AR-7 - Henry Picatinny Rail

Post by armycat » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:31 pm

I have been looking for options to put an optic on my AR-7 and came across a new product today. The Henry U.S. Survival Picatinny Rail (H002 Series). This rail will fit on rifles with serial numbers above 21,000.

https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... 8358177817

There is not much information available but apparently this rail slides on to the 3/8" dovetail on the receiver and then is secured in place with four set screws. With the rail in place the sights can still be used but the receiver will not fit into the butt stock.

My eyes aren't what they used to be. I want to have the ability to mount an optic with an etched reticle and some magnification on the AR-7. I think something like the Vortex Spitfire 3x would be perfect but so far I have been unhappy with any 3/8" dovetail to Picatinny rail adapters that I have tried. I have had some success with 3/8" scope rings and a Bushnell 3-9x scope but the scope is larger and heavier than I want to pack around.

I am hoping this slide on rail will have tight enough tolerances that it will be able to return to zero after being removed. If not it is not a big concern since it is so easy to bore sight an AR-7.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: AR-7 - Henry Picatinny Rail

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:17 am

good to know ... as you note : "Picatinny rail will have to be removed before storing in the stock" .... I'd imagine that for many that would be a turnoff
0 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:52 pm

Having to remove the rail does present a problem. I plan to carry the rail and optic in a pouch so I can carry the rifle completely stowed. The stock could likely by modified to hold the receiver with the rail but optic would have to be removed anyway so removing the rail with the optic isn't a big deal.

When I'm plinking I have the option to use some extra ammo to get it re-zeroed if it doesn't retain zero when it is removed. If I am ever in a situation where ammo consumption is a concern then at least it is easy to bore sight the rifle. Having the added accuracy from the optic is worth the extra hassle.

See how it goes in a week or so.
1 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Tue May 11, 2021 8:25 pm

Received the Picatinny rail in the mail today. Quicker than I expected.

It came packaged in a small plastic case, the rail, 6 set screws (2 short, 4 long) and a small piece of paper with the instructions. The rail is directional with a arrow on the bottom that points toward the muzzle. It is directional because there is a tapered portion at one end that makes it easier to get the rail to slide onto the dovetail on the receiver.

Thtee set screws go through the top of the rail on each end. The short on in the centre and the long ones towards the sides. The three set screws form a triangle pattern. The set screws require a 1/16" inch Allen wrench which does not come with the rail. They recommend that Loc Tite 222 be used and the screws torqued to 8-10 inch pounds.

I want to be able to remove and reinstall the rail so don't want to use Loc Tite. I will put rail covers on to prevent losing the screws if they back out from vibration. Also hoping I can tighten the set screws consistently and maintain zero when the rail is re-installed. If it doesn't maintain zero then at least the AR-7 is extremely easy to bore sight.
1 x