Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Did Your Henry Come from the Factory Looking Like This?

A modern classic
jj88
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Did Your Henry Come from the Factory Looking Like This?

Post by jj88 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:15 pm

These are photos of a Henry Original that I recently purchased new from a highly reputable major wholesaler. It is brand new out of the box and I have not fired it. Checking with Henry on the serial it was manufactured in late Oct. 2018. So it's not very old.

The pictures show green oxidation inside the receiver and a white substance that I cannot identify. Plus a lot of dirt of some kind or another.

Did yours come from the factory looking like this?

Please no advice yet about cleaning. First I'd just like to know if yours looked like this at unboxing.

Thanks!
henry4.jpg
henry3.jpg
henry2.jpg
henry1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Did Your Henry Come from the Factory Looking Like This?

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:25 pm

Did yours come from the factory looking like this?
First welcome to the forum from Wickiup Junction, Oregon!

No mine did not.

First, brass will turn green due chemical reactions between the copper in the alloy and the atmosphere.
This will require cleaning and and possibly a brass polish to remove.
Second - does the white substance come off easily or is it 'stuck' to the brass? I suspect it MAY be the remains of some sort of brass polish used at the factory. Hit it with a toothbrush and some gun solvent and see if it brushes off.
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:32 pm

That's the top "ejection port" of the receiver, is that right? Had to look at some photos, as I don't own that model. Given that they're test-fired (and probably not wiped down afterward), it could just be test fire residue.

How does the rest of the rifle look? Bore? Woodwork? Fit/finish? Any scratches on the brass otherwise?

Maybe some other owners of the "Original" can chime in, but if everything else looks "factory new," I'm guessing it's just incidental to the factory firing.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:53 pm

I dont think they clean them after a test firing. As other have mentioned that looks like residue from that. Welcome to the forum. Please visit the how many thread and add that Henry to our running total. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=880
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:59 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT. Neither of my Henrys looked anything like your photos --- out of the box or any time afterward.

After you evaluate some of the responses you've already had, please report back, especially with photos after it's been cleaned up.
jj88 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:15 pm
These are photos of a Henry Original that I recently purchased new from a highly reputable major wholesaler.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:00 pm

Welcome from the TV, Oregon!
The presence of humidity with test fire residue can accelerate the formation of 'green' oxidation. Ammonia used in some gun polishes/buffing compounds can also cause accelerated oxidation including turning the brass to patina.
jj88 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 1987 10:28 am
These are photos of a Henry Original that I recently purchased new ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:39 pm

First, welcome. Understand about no advise concerning cleaning, mine was not cleaned to well after test firing. It went back to the factory for cleaning and came back about the same way. I ended up cleaning it myself (this is all before my first firing). So as previously mentioned, cleaning may be in order. I have a steel and not a brass Henry. Therefore, I will not offer much in the way of cleaning brass. As you are probably aware of, Henry offers a product for cleaning brass though.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:39 pm

A question comes to mind as to what kind of conditions (storage facility) was the rifle kept in by the distributor? Atmospheric conditions, humidity, etc. could have some effect, especially on brass. Having wildly speculated on all that, the six Henry rifles I have "unboxed" have all been in fine shape, albeit all in need of some cleaning up of oil, packing grease, etc. And welcome to the forum.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:53 pm

It's not what I would like to see on any new rifle. However, once cleaned up as long as it shoots great and there is no other issues, enjoy your new rifle.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:44 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:53 pm
It's not what I would like to see on any new rifle. However, once cleaned up as long as it shoots great and there is no other issues, enjoy your new rifle.
Took the words out of my mouth RR.....
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry