Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Just starting to consider getting one

A modern classic
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Just starting to consider getting one

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:47 pm

There's no doubt the HRA lumber is top notch. That HRA iron frame 1860 is a real beauty.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:04 pm

RanchRoper wrote:There's no doubt the HRA lumber is top notch. That HRA iron frame 1860 is a real beauty.
I was a bit dispointed by how flimsy the rear ladder sight looked in the video and and not surprised but disapointed by the use of Mim parts. I imagine that may not really affect anything but still I was a bit disapointed. He was also very critical of their polishing effort but overall I imagine most of this just reflects what methods and how gun manufacturing for the most part is being done today. I guess I just thought besides the wood there might be other things for that additional cost that would stand out. I think I need to revisit the Winchester Miroku and compare that to the Henry.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Have a look at the recent reissue of the Winchester 1866 Yellowboy. Looks real good.
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:26 pm

Uberti makes a fine replica. I have shot one and seen quite a few. But the wood on a Uberti figure wise will never match that of the new Henrys. It sounds like to me from your post you like the wood. No one here will be able to tell or advise you on which one to buy. In the end it will be what you want. If your try to substitute one for what you are really wanting you will always want what you passed up in buying that substitute. I have done this so many times and ended up spending twice as much because I wasnt happy with what I bought trying to save the money. As far as caliber goes for me it would be the 45 colt. Just my 2 cents worth. YMMV. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:09 am

If I were close to Discus420 I would seriously consider his Navy Arms Henry he is selling. I like the unique aspect of it being a rare, 'original' replica.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:04 am

BigAl52 wrote:Uberti makes a fine replica. I have shot one and seen quite a few. But the wood on a Uberti figure wise will never match that of the new Henrys. It sounds like to me from your post you like the wood. No one here will be able to tell or advise you on which one to buy. In the end it will be what you want. If your try to substitute one for what you are really wanting you will always want what you passed up in buying that substitute. I have done this so many times and ended up spending twice as much because I wasnt happy with what I bought trying to save the money. As far as caliber goes for me it would be the 45 colt. Just my 2 cents worth. YMMV. Al
Hey, I'm a BIG believer in getting what appeals to me in the first place and not settling for less. It makes no sense to do otherwise unless there's just no way I'm able to afford it. Personally I yearn for a Rolls Royce but life kind of gets in the way. That's not the issue it's just I have no intention of getting 3 of them at this point to determine which one that is. I have no problem paying more but I would just like to make sure it will be worth it to me. I'm even willing to may more for finer details like fit and finish which has nothing to do with function as long as it functions as it should.

The problem currently is I'm trying to determine the differences between the various choices and hoping to hear some opinions based on other peoples experiences. Those who own one are helpful but those who have more than one are generally even more helpful. So comparisons like the video earlier were really good but I would like to get other peoples opinion if possible as well. Personally I have yet to even see any of these rifles in person so I'm asking for as much help as possible. How do the look, what materials do they use, how do they function, and what kind of customer support I can expect if everything doesn't go as planned. Which ones might be more finicky or anything else I just have yet to think of.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:12 am

RanchRoper wrote:Have a look at the recent reissue of the Winchester 1866 Yellowboy. Looks real good.

Thanks and actually at one point I considered this one and in fact today I thought about revisiting it again. Frankly it was when looking at the Henry website that I started to seriously think about one of these replicas again. The Henry New Original looks so good I just wondered if looks weren't just a bit deceiving as to how good they might or might not be and if the added cost could be justified. I understand in the long run that will be up to me to determine that but I was hoping to hear a bit more from people here about some of the details first.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:15 am

Mistered wrote:If I were close to Discus420 I would seriously consider his Navy Arms Henry he is selling. I like the unique aspect of it being a rare, 'original' replica.
At this point I simply don't have enough knowledge about it to even seriously consider it. If it's that good I wouldn't mind hearing more about.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:38 am

50 yds. Open sights. My 1860 paper shredder. No question about Uberti performance. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:33 am

dddrees wrote:... was hoping to hear a bit more from people here about some of the details first.
sorry I don't have anything to offer to aid your search. However, I do love hearing about your journey to get there. From the other contributors its got me looking at their suggestions and reading about the various rifles. One thing that caught my eye on the New Henry Original. The description of the brass models state that the brass alloy used is as strong as steel. I thought that impressive.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234