Just starting to consider getting one

A modern classic
dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Just starting to consider getting one

Post by dddrees » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:37 am

PT7 wrote:
dddrees wrote:...my intentions initially were to get the Original Henry by Henry Repeating Arms.
...I skipped it ...In this case I think I need to go back to square one and get the one I missed.
I think your "Square One" choice is very cool 8-) , ddd. At several Cabelas visits, I handled a brass Original Henry in .45 Colt (H011C), and that is one quality rifle. Two things I distinctly remember: how smooth the lever action was; and the folding ladder rear sight. I'd think that iron sight would be a definite keeper and not one that calls for any mod. Henry states that sight as "classic," and I agree.

I checked out the Henry web site, and they now offer five models of the Original. All five are offered in .44-40 WCF caliber. The brass model I listed above is the only one offered in .45 Colt. Which model are you considering? Best as you move forward to "get the one you missed!" ;)
PT7

Cool, unfortunately the Cabelas in my area never has anything in stock that nice (expensive). I decided to go with the 45 Colt (H011C). I had considered the engraved version in Brass and the Iron CCH version as well but the additional expense and the fact that I already have another rifle and I am possibly considering getting a SA in 45 Colt made the 45 version an easy choice for me.

If I remeber correctly it's the Original Henry that actually got me looking at the older style lever guns in the first place. It wasn't until I looked at the Henry that I started looking at and consider getting the Winchester 1866 and 1873. Both because of the 2018 Shotshow Versions appealed to me greatly and the fact that I conuld get something in a caliber I already had were just more compelling at the time. Getting rifles in the older west style with great looking furniture was a big draw and priority for me as well. Anyway the fact that those versions might not be available new later on was the deciding factor. I still don't regret making that decision even if it meant waiting even longer to get the Henry. In fact there was another limited model I may have been willing to delay the Henry purchase yet another time.

Winchesters made by Winchester even though they are made in Japan was a big draw for me as well. Besides Miroku is known for making real nice guns. I took a good look at Uberti as well but for various reasons Winchester Mirokus appeal to me more. Anyway the time I spent researching these rifles over the last year plus before making my choices really paid off for me. It really has been a fun journey as well.

When I started looking at the Original Henry they only had the three versions availible. Now that they have 5 that tells me that even as expensive it is they have to be fairly popular.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:26 am

dddrees wrote: Cool, unfortunately the Cabelas in my area never has anything in stock that nice (expensive). I decided to go with the 45 Colt (H011C). I had considered the engraved version in Brass and the Iron CCH version as well but the additional expense and the fact that I already have another rifle and I am possibly considering getting a SA in 45 Colt made the 45 version an easy choice for me.

Getting rifles in the older west style with great looking furniture was a big draw and priority for me as well.
The H011C would be my choice also. The other versions are all quite nice, but there is something extra special to me about the brass version. My first Henry was a BBB Classic .357 Magnum (H006M). What was cool about the brass finish was that there is the choice to keep it polished and sparkling, or let it patina. I went the patina trail for a while, and it really gave the Big Boy even more of the "older west style" you mentioned. Most especially, the wood furniture on the BBB was excellent; which reminds me that it was the same for the Original Henry I handled at Cabelas. Henry knows how to put together a beautiful rifle -- their wood stocks are the best!

I already have the other half of a .45 Colt pair in my 1874 Russian top break revolver (modeled after the Smith & Wesson Schofield). Really like shooting .45 Colt caliber. But the Russian will have to remain single...the Original Henry won't happen here.

I like keeping track of your journey. Hope that Original comes home to you real soon. :)
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:40 am

PT7 wrote:
dddrees wrote: Cool, unfortunately the Cabelas in my area never has anything in stock that nice (expensive). I decided to go with the 45 Colt (H011C). I had considered the engraved version in Brass and the Iron CCH version as well but the additional expense and the fact that I already have another rifle and I am possibly considering getting a SA in 45 Colt made the 45 version an easy choice for me.

Getting rifles in the older west style with great looking furniture was a big draw and priority for me as well.
The H011C would be my choice also. The other versions are all quite nice, but there is something extra special to me about the brass version. My first Henry was a BBB Classic .357 Magnum (H006M). What was cool about the brass finish was that there is the choice to keep it polished and sparkling, or let it patina. I went the patina trail for a while, and it really gave the Big Boy even more of the "older west style" you mentioned. Most especially, the wood furniture on the BBB was excellent; which reminds me that it was the same for the Original Henry I handled at Cabelas. Henry knows how to put together a beautiful rifle -- their wood stocks are the best!

I already have the other half of a .45 Colt pair in my 1874 Russian top break revolver (modeled after the Smith & Wesson Schofield). Really like shooting .45 Colt caliber. But the Russian will have to remain single...the Original Henry won't happen here.

I like keeping track of your journey. Hope that Original comes home to you real soon. :)
PT7
My first Henry was a Golden Boy but I currently have a BBS in 357 as well. As you said the nice walnut stocks are definitely a draw when it comes to their rifles. In fact I like the wood and finish on their regular rifles and think they look a bit better than the stock on my Non-Shot Show Version of my Winchester 1873. It's possible the biggest difference maybe in the finish Henry uses but the Henry stocks do look a little better. One of the reasons I chose a Henry over a Marlin at the time was the unappealing stock on the Marlin they were offering at the time. Marlin since has come out with a cowboy version with a better looking stock.

I like the stocks on my Winchester Shot Show versions best but they use grade V\VI on those versions. The grain just has more character. I would think the Fancy American Walnut on the Original Henry should be inline with or possibly even better than what Winchester uses. The pictures online make those stocks look very appealing. A good looking stock just adds to the overall character and look of the rifle. When comparing my blued finished with lower grade stock on my 45 1873 to my CCH 357 1873 with grade V\VI walnut stock there's no doubt which rifle looks better. Differences also include a checkered stock and a barrel on the Shot Show version which is half octagonal and round versus fully octagonal on the more standard version of the 1873. The more aesthetically pleasing the rifle the better it feels in my hand and maybe that's just because it's more pleasing to look at.

The big draw of the Yellow Boy or 1866 to me was always that brass receiver but the patina'd look of my 1866 came with looks fabulous to me so I have no intention of shining that one. I know the Original Henry will come with more of a shine so I"ll just have to see what I'll do or not do with that one. But my intention at this point would be to keep it shined.

That 45 Colt 1874 Russian top break revolver sounds really cool. I currently have a number of SA Stainless Steel revolvers but they are all Rugers in either 357 or 22. I really enjoy the whole SA revolver experience. I do have DA revolvers as well but SA revolvers are extremely enjoyable besides I usually fire my DA revolvers in SA mode. I mainly shoot 22 mostly because of my old arthritic hands and because the 22 is more attractive because of cost. However from time to time I'll put on some padded gloves and shoot something a bit bigger like my 9mm handguns or my 357 revolvers (38).

Currently I have my eye on a SAA clone from Standard Manufacturing in 45 and CCH. Having something to pair with my 45 rifles appeals to me and I have been wanting a SAA in CCH for awhile now. If I do get it and it probably wont be for awhile but that is the one I desire.

I don't have many guns, I don't feel that I need tons, but the few I have I like to make them count. They should be special, they should work for me, and they need to bring me joy.

Thanks for listening.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:19 pm

Good luck. Look forward to a H011c range report.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:57 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Good luck. Look forward to a H011c range report.

Thank you sir.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm

YES!
dddrees wrote:... my intention at this point would be to keep it shined.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Listen to the little voice in your ear....patina...patina...
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Listen to the little voice in your 'other' ear....shiny...shiny :P
RanchRoper wrote:Listen to the little voice in your ear....patina...patina...
dddrees wrote:... my intention at this point would be to keep it shined.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:40 am

No official delivery date yet but with about 2 weeks left I'm starting to count the days. Here's hoping the wood on mine looks as good as some of those I've seen online.

In the meantime I've been conducting some searches on the internet on the two repeaters of the time I'm aware of with the Henry and the Spencer. I may have to curb this a bit as it has me starting to consider other rifles of this time as well. LOL

It is really interesting to see some of the information I had previously been unaware about these rifles. Amazing that Spencer was so successful initially but saw such an early demise. After seeing some of the videos and what is required to shoot it however I'm glad I'm getting a Henry. I may have to wear a glove but at least I won't have to shake it to get a round ejected which such a week ejector as what the Spencer rifle had in addition to manually cocking the Hammer and loading from the butt of the rifle after pulling out the tube. Also I read somewhere that Winchester at one point bought Spencer. Still looking for more information on this. Do wonder if the purpose was just so Winchester could shut down his competitor.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:56 pm

The journey for this gun is almost over.

Can't wait to see what the wood looks like. Fingers Crossed.
0 x