Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Just starting to consider getting one

A modern classic
dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Just starting to consider getting one

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:15 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Buy this rifle and I'll sell you my Henry .44 Rimfire cartridge, problem is you only get 1 shot at the range so make it count.... :lol:

https://merzantiques.com/product/w761-h ... ion-rifle/

20180422_132819_resized.jpg
Frankly no matter the cost I have no interest in strictly dust collectors at this point. I wouldn’t want to ruin a collector, but I do want to shoot whatever I get and I have been told that ammo might be hard to get a hold of. Oh, and for that amount that might mean I would have to give up a few other hobbies so I think not. LOL
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:21 pm

I have been told that ammo might be hard to get a hold of.
Yea its probably a bit hard to find......
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detai ... ammunition
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Best of luck with your decision. All this 'ol cowpuncher can say is that I love mine. In fact, I think I'll go shoot it today! 8-)
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:29 pm

ESquared wrote:I like tracking these kinds of posts, too, because what ends up being uncovered are all the trade-offs and what comes to the surface is what's really important to the buyer. Been there, done that, as have probably the rest of you. Caliber vs. receiver finish vs. wood vs. MIM vs. customer support vs. parts/service vs. ammo availability/pricing. And, now it looks like there are 3-4 rifles in the mix.
This kind of thing leads me to lots of "sleep on it" before deciding. It's when you wake up and are still torn between This and That . . .THEN it gets crazy!
Good luck and keep us posted. As you can tell, I'm absolutely no help in your decision. Just a supportive peanut gallery!
I have been knocking this one around for awhile. But the idea of a real nice lever gun somehow appeals to me but it has been a bit frustrating. At one point I had decided on a Winchester but that is before I saw the New Original Henry. It looks sweet but at this point that seems only skin deep. These decisions where you know it when you see it are just so much easier. The S&W 41 is one that comes to mind. I just knew it and sure enough it’s absolutely perfect for me.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:31 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Best of luck with your decision. All this 'ol cowpuncher can say is that I love mine. In fact, I think I'll go shoot it today! 8-)
I imagine you do and congrats. If however you have the time and care to provide any details as to why you made your choice I would appreciate it greatly.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Here's some of the info I posted when I ordered the rifle. I had a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt at the time. Great rifle, but I wanted an 1860. After much research, I chose the Uberti from Cimarron not just on price difference but I have a gunsmith an hour away who is a dealer for Cimarron as well. Never saw or held an HRA one, but the wood & brass on the Cimarron looks to me (my opinion only) more true to the original vintage rifles you see on auction sites. And Uberti's are prominent in period correct western movies such as Lonesome Dove, Tombstone, and other westerns. They do not have the trap door in the brass butt anymore, likely cost savings but I can forgive that while saving a thousand bucks over the HRA one. Good luck, shoot safe & often. RR

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2188
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:07 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Here's some of the info I posted when I ordered the rifle. I had a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt at the time. Great rifle, but I wanted an 1860. After much research, I chose the Uberti from Cimarron not just on price difference but I have a gunsmith an hour away who is a dealer for Cimarron as well. Never saw or held an HRA one, but the wood & brass on the Cimarron looks to me (my opinion only) more true to the original vintage rifles you see on auction sites. And Uberti's are prominent in period correct western movies such as Lonesome Dove, Tombstone, and other westerns. They do not have the trap door in the brass butt anymore, likely cost savings but I can forgive that while saving a thousand bucks over the HRA one. Good luck, shoot safe & often. RR

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2188
These are the major draws that I generally see posted by most Ubertis owners and I can appreciate that. It appears cost was not a consideration and I think we can agree on that point. For me it is less about cost specifically because we aren’t talking about anything to this point were there is much difference anyways except for an original and not replica which I have no interest in anyway. Then the cost and viability of being able to shoot it would be off the table for me anyway.

For some reason being truer to form is less important to me than fit and finish.

Thanks for sharing as the more input the better as far as I am concerned.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Good luck
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:43 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Good luck

Thank you sir, and thanks for your help,
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:39 pm

dddrees wrote:
ESquared wrote:I like tracking these kinds of posts, too, because what ends up being uncovered are all the trade-offs and what comes to the surface is what's really important to the buyer. Been there, done that, as have probably the rest of you. Caliber vs. receiver finish vs. wood vs. MIM vs. customer support vs. parts/service vs. ammo availability/pricing. And, now it looks like there are 3-4 rifles in the mix.
This kind of thing leads me to lots of "sleep on it" before deciding. It's when you wake up and are still torn between This and That . . .THEN it gets crazy!
Good luck and keep us posted. As you can tell, I'm absolutely no help in your decision. Just a supportive peanut gallery!
There have been times when to many trade offs end up being something that’s just not worth it to begin with. If that’s the case then that’s fine as well. I just like knowing what those details are before hand.
Absolutely! Due diligence is part of the fun, and I've learned a lot along the way during many firearm purchase decisions like this. Just wish I could be more help on this one!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357